Thursday, March 29, 2007

On My Hearth: Zesty Tofu


Ever since visiting The Chicken Store in Key West a couple of weeks ago, I can no longer bring myself to eat chicken! I've gone through this before which is why I was a vegetarian for 10 years, seems I am going down that path once again.

So, in light of that, I am making a dinner-without-a-face tonight. This recipe is courtesy of Weightwatchers.

Zesty Tofu

POINTS® Value: 3
Servings: 2
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 0 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Tofu is a terrific way to get in some calcium and protein. Try it marinated like we've done here, or in your favorite Asian stir-fry.

Ingredients

* 1 Tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
* 2 tsp honey
* 1 tsp white wine vinegar
* 1 tsp vegetable oil
* 1/2 tsp ginger root, fresh, minced
* 1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
* 8 oz firm tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1 cup)

Instructions:

* In a large bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, vinegar, oil, ginger and pepper flakes.

* Divide tofu between 2 bowls and coat with sauce. Let stand 5 minutes.

2 comments:

Aisling said...

I'm so glad you're back to blogging! This tofu looks like the starting point to one of my recipes. I use a similar marinade, then bake it. I flip it part way through, then bake it some more, until the outside is lightly golden. Then, I toss it in pasta with a few veggies and blended up roasted red peppers (for a really light sauce with no fat) or toss it into a stir fry and serve over brown rice. Yum.

I'm with you totally (as you know) on having dinner without a face!!!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Aisling! I had hoped you'd see this simple little recipe, you are a great vegetarian cook! You inspire me all of the time.

Your suggestions sound awesome, I'll definitely try that next time!