Saturday, April 21, 2007

Accountants Gone Wild


So, it was April 18, 1 day post D-Day for accountants, and the office was practically a ghost town. Half the staff took the day off to get reaquainted with their families, the rest of us showed up bleary-eyed and hung over from the office party the night before. We were all a little punchy, and pretty happy to be able to converse with each other in normal terms instead of the gritted-teeth hissing and under-breath mumbling that we'd been doing for the past couple of weeks. This conversation probably won't amuse anyone else but myself, but I'll share anyway.

Female co-worker: You know, my son wants to be a scientist yet my daughter wants to be a bus driver, I don't know about that girl. [shaking head in concern]

Me: Well, that's ok, I wanted to be a go-go dancer when I was a little girl; imagine how worried my Mom was!

Female co-worker: I wanted to be a stripper!

Me: oh, yeah! It's all about the shoes, isn't it? I just wanted a pair of those knee-high white boots that all the go-go dancers wore.

Female co-worker: yeah! Those were great, weren't they?

Male co-worker speaking up from the back of the room: You know, girls, it's not too late. I have plenty of single dollar bills; You both can fulfill your childhood fantasy!

Me: It's gonna one helluva office party next year! Do we think the conference room table can handle both of us dancing up there?

Suddenly we realize that one of the firm's partners is quietly doing some work at the copy machine....and ever-so-softly he says:

I'll bring the video camera.

And they say accountants are boring.

4 comments:

Aisling said...

LOL! I wanted to be a go-go dancer for a while too, as a little girl. I didn't know it was anything "naughty." It was all about the long white boots, polk-a-dot mini-skirts, and having fun! Goldie Hawn on Laugh-In was my inspiration. *Grin*

Domestic Chicky said...

That is seriously funny! Add me to the go-go boot contingent! I LOVED those boots!!

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, absolutely! I thought they were all beautiful and seemed to be having a fabulous time.

Domestic Chicky, you betcha! I actually got a pair of those boots when I was about 6 years old; my Mom has a picture of me wearing them with a green furry coat which I swore was "mink." Quite an ensemble, let me tell you. My poor mother, what she put up with!

Abigail S said...

That is hillarious! I love it!