Thursday, April 5, 2007

Cast of Characters Part 2


Since I wrote about these two women in my last post, I should probably describe them more completely.

"The story of the Celtic goddess Rhiannon reminds us of the healing power of humor, tears, and forgiveness. The goddess Rhiannon is a goddess of movement and change who remains steadfast, comforting us in times of crisis and of loss."

My best friend, Rhiannon, has known me for 24 years now..before babies, before divorces, when I was first married to Kali's father. I announced my pregnancy on the day of Rhiannon's wedding shower, and it was to her house I would go when I had terrible cravings (for lemons!) and wasn't able to get to the store to fulfill them. She has been my friend through the best of times, and the worst of times. She is one of the few people in the world who know my deepest darkest secrets, my faults and foibles, and love me anyway. During my 1st divorce she introduced me to the hot young "fling" who reminded me of how beautiful and special I was, truly a gift at that time in my life. I was the maid of honor at her 2nd wedding, and she at mine. During my 2nd divorce she sent me a greeting card every single day for weeks & weeks, and would call me incessantly to make sure I'd gotten out of bed, that I was taking care of myself, etc. She helped save me, truly she did, and for that I am eternally grateful. Though we have changed so much over the years, and there are times we don't always see eye to eye, our relatonship prevails. She is more than a friend..she is a sister to me, and I can't imagine my life without her.




Then there's my Mom, who was nicknamed "Sam" by someone years ago, and therefore she wanted to name me Samantha. (My grandmother stepped in and vetoed that, and the rest is history.) Though it had nothing to do with Samantha on Bewitched, I always identified the name with her so here goes. (Besides, "Sam" my Mom did her share of *bewitching* men and can still turn heads wherever she goes!) She is stronger than any woman I've ever met, has taught me everything I need to know about life, about love, about mothering..she made sure that I didn't settle, that I had high standards in everything, that I was always a lady (well, almost always) and that I knew how to fight for what I believe in. From her I got my fericious mothering and my independence, and on a lighter note, my insatiable love of shoes! When I was a teenager she was the "cool mom," driving around in her sexy Camaro, always trim, always stylish, always beautiful. She didn't look a thing like all the other Moms at the private Baptist school, let me tell you! She has always been there for me, no matter what messes I've gotten myself into. She's an incredible mom and grandma and I love her dearly.

So, there you go, two more of the phenomenal women in my life. I am so blessed!

3 comments:

samway59 said...

How sweet. I love it.I am so glad you feel that way. What a great daughter. : ) Happy dance. : )
Love you, Mom

Mother of Invention said...

What an amazing friend you have (a card every day for 8 weeks?!!!)and a super mom! She blogs?! Then she IS cool!

Rapunzel said...

Mom doesn't blog yet, but she sure should! She's a very talented lady with a lot of wisdom to share.