Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Cast of Characters: Part 4


Finally, a pseudonym has come to me for my middle daughter. Lily, aka Witch Baby, from the Francesca Lia Block books that we all love so dearly.

Lily is wild and free, outspoken and honest to a fault, beautiful despite, or because of, her black snarlball hair and purple tilty eyes. To say that she is unique is an understatement. When I asked her why she loves Lily so much she replied, "she sees what people run away from...she takes pictures of what they don't want to see." This is true. There is no hiding from this child. She demands honesty, challenges me to think the hardest, feel the most, uncover the dark places in myself and "deal with it." Every day she delights me even when I'm exasperated by her energy and spirit. From the moment she was born she has made an impact on the world, she is strong and passionate and I look on with wonder and awe at the woman she is becoming.

So there she is, my daughter, my middle-heart, my "Lily."

3 comments:

Aisling said...

Rapunzel, I love the name Lily for your middle child. I'm not familiar with the book series you mentioned though. I love Alice Hoffman and some of the other authors that you read, so I bet I'd love this.

Mother of Invention said...

Sounds like a really neat kid who will no doubt turn out a unique, very defined adult.

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, Francesca Lia Block's books are similar in the mystical/magical feel of Alice Hoffman, but they are a bit darker. She's been chastised by "certain groups" for addressing controversial topics in these young adult books. Since I never censor my childrens' reading, I had no problem with it. In fact, when Kali was in 9th grade she would read me a chapter each day on the way to school. I looked forward to that drive each morning!

Mother of Invention, she is a really cool kid, thank you!