Saturday, April 21, 2007

A New Routine: Part 2


I spent about 9 hours cleaning and doing laundry yesterday. I don't know what the "normal" amount of time require for housekeeping is, but doesn't that sound like a lot? I was exhausted by the end of the day and needed a nap, which got me to thinking that there must be a better way. Barring hiring the aforementioned maid, of course. So, I started my own little system, inspired by Kali and various other homemaking gurus.

I got a three-ring binder and made two lists: one for daily routines, one for weekly. I wrote everthing out that needs to be accomplished, used the Paint program to add some cute little vintage graphics, and then inserted them into page protectors. Using a dry erase marker, I crossed of each task as I completed it. My goal is to do a bit each day instead of letting the castle get completely trashed and then killing myself fixing it. Evenutally I will add pages of monthy and seasonally, but for right now this gets me started.

Anyone use this type of system? Thoughts?

11 comments:

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

We have a system like that at work. We have chores for each of the first two shifts that have to be done daily, then for third shift (my shift) we have a list of chores that are specific for that night. Like Friday nights we clean the kitchen up really well, Saturday's the basement, etc. Seems to work okay for us usually.

Aisling said...

I have a list of daily/weekly tasks in a sheet protector hung on the inside of my laundry room door. I have those memorized, and when life runs smoothly (no unexpected events, etc.) they get done. I also have a much longer list of things that should be done periodically (taking down light fixtures to clean them, pulling out the stove and refrigerator, etc.) I just do a few when I have time and it goes on all year instead of just in spring (for "spring cleaning.") Every June when school gets out, I do a really detailed clean on my kitchen. I used to have a binder, but the inside of my laundry room door is easier to see and remember and I don't have to pull a binder out.

Rapunzel said...

Silerneurotic, that's great that your workplace is so organized!

Aisling, I know how organized and what a wonderful homemaker you are so I'm reassured that this "system" will work pretty well...as long as I work the plan, right? *grin*

Aisling said...

Rapunzel, Honestly, like most people I'm organized and efficient some of the time and overwhelmed some of the time. When I stick with it, it works well. I do try something else for a change of pace sometimes. I think it is sticking with it that makes the difference, not the particulars of the system you choose. The moral of the story: pick a routine that appeals to you and when it doesn't anymore, try something else! *grin*

Lotta said...

I think that is amazing you are doing that. But you need to add "Drink big glass of wine" under your daily list! :)

Rapunzel said...

Lotta, that goes without saying! ;-) I figure that into my WW POINTS before I eat anything else. Hey, a glass a day is good for us, right?

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, from what I know of you and have seen of your home, it is lovely, as are you. :-) You do an awesome job & are an inspiration to me, so whatever system you're using, it works!

Mother of Invention said...

I just saw this method in the recent "Canadian Living" mag. Yes, 9 hours is way too much in my books..I'd crash and burn.
It's all I can do to keep top of the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom.

Abigail S said...

It sounds like a good system. I should probably do something like that, both in my classroom and at my house... But, unfortunately, I'm lazy.

I hope you have good luck w/ it!!!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Abigail!

Rapunzel said...

Mother of Invention, I just googled the article in Canadian Living and if it's the correct one, it references Organizedhome.com. That is a great website and the author/webowner is a wonderful lady! I "knew" her from my days posting at the S*H*E boards.