Tuesday, April 10, 2007

A New Routine?


I have said it before and I'll say it again: I hate to clean. Really, really hate it. Most of us do, I'm sure, there are few women who really get off on housekeeping. I also hate a dirty house and my OCD tendencies kick in when things are untidy, I can't function in messes. Since I lack the funds to hire someone to do my dirty work, I've got to don my cleaning gloves and take care of it myself.

Now, I find that a routine, a system, makes the process easier and more manageable. I've sought advice from dozens of houskeeping books/websites/Yahoo lists, and had quite a good system down while I was a full-time homemaker and part-time business owner. Now that I work out of the home, though, I have less time to dedicate to my humble abode and must revamp my routine. So, where to start?

I know that the current "favorite" is the Flylady but I have some issues with her methods, the Leo in me cannot stand to be told what to do a dozen times a day via e-mail reminders. I am however leaning toward my own version of her "control journal," actually inspired by my daughter Kali. I'm still working out the details, though, and find myself at a standstill.

What I'd like from you, dear readers, is some input here. Do you have a system that works fabulously for you? Can you share the secrets to your spotless kitchen counters and gleaming floors? How do you find the time to balance caring for your home and family while still pursuing your own passions? I know it can be done, I've gotten close before. I'm ready to do whatever it takes to bring the castle back to it's shining glory, anybody with me?

4 comments:

Mother of Invention said...

Okay, well, I actually have someone in every 2nd week at $50, and I do the bathroom a few times in between but I'm not as tidy as I could be. I get to it when I do. I've learned to let it go, especially since I havd chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia....I hurt and am usually tired...I do what I can do! Sorry, I wasn't helpful!

Rapunzel said...

Mother of Invention, I think you're doing a helluva job considering what you're tackling there! I used to pay someone to come and clean for me as well, cost about $60 and I'd do it now & then when I wanted/needed a break. Well, now they charge $75 PER HOUR, certainly not in my current budget! Ouch! If I am ever able to work it into my budget, a cleaning service will be part of my routine. Well worth it at $60, not so much at $150 & up.

Grace said...

Sadly, I don't have much of a routine. I do have a notebook - what FlyLady would call a Control Journal. But I use the Brocante Home version - so much lovelier. I try to do a little something each day but some days I'm just wiped out, since I work outside the home 3/4 time.

I really want to have a routine but can't ever seem to get one going. And I'm not a Leo, but I felt the same way about FlyLady. I kept hearing my mom's nagging shrill voice every time I read an email! Yikes. But I must say FlyLady did help me get off the ground and did help me get started caring and managing my home better.

Rapunzel said...

Grace, can you tell me more about Brocante Home's version? I am perusing the website feverishly but can't seem to locate it! Thanks so much!