Thursday, April 19, 2007

Now Showing at the Castle: Mozart and the Whale


I just watched this movie from Netflix and am now adding it to my Amazon wishlist. One viewing is simply not enough! From Wikipedia: The film tells the story of two people with Asperger's Syndrome (a form of autism). Donald (Josh Hartnett) runs a small self-help group for people on the autistic spectrum who are more affected by their autism than he is. Isabelle (Radha Mitchell) is referred to the group by her therapist. Mozart and the Whale is a fictional account, using characters loosely based on the real-life relationship of Jerry Newport and Mary Meinel (now Mary Newport).

The costumes and sets in this film are gorgeous, the actors are just adorable. I want to watch it again slooooly just to devour those aspects.

The cool thing is that when I logged onto imdb I noticed that Jerry Newport posted his own positive comment about the film, certainly can't beat that review!

4 comments:

Aisling said...

Rapunzel, I've absolutely got to see this. I know several families personally who have a child on the autism spectrum, and work with a few children in the elementary school library with Asperger's Syndrome. I had never heard of it (not much of a movie buff) so I'm so glad for your review! Thank you!

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

Wow, that sounds really good. I work with kids with autism (and other disorders) and I think this will give me some nice insight into some of their minds.

Have you read "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time". I think you might like it.

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, you would really love it, especially with having that type of knowledge! I know nothing about the syndrom but this has spurred me into some research!

Silverneurotic, I just looked up that book on Amazon and added it to my wish list! It sounds awesome! Thanks so much for the comment and the recommendation. Let me know what you think about Mozart and the Whale, ok?

Abigail S said...

That sounds really, really good! I've got to see it!