Thursday, April 12, 2007

On My Hearth: Black Bean Soup


I happened to find this recipe on the back of the Bush's canned beans, just whipped it up for a quick dinner. I substituted veggie broth for the chicken to make it vegetarian, didn't add the garnishes because I wanted to save the POINTS. I did serve it with a bit of brown rice, though, which helped to "bulk up" the dish. It was very tasty, and couldn't be easier to prepare!

Since the only thing I'm counting is the beans & rice, I calculated this at 5.5 WW POINTS. (1 cup black beans, 1/2 cup brown rice)

Black Bean Soup

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

2 cans (15 ounces) BUSH's BEST Black Beans, undrained
1 can (16 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
½ cup salsa
1 tablespoon chili powder
Shredded cheese (optional)
Sour cream (optional)
Chopped onion (optional)
Cilantro (optional)

Mash one can of beans with potato masher or food processor. Pour both cans of beans into medium saucepan. Add chicken broth, salsa, and chili powder. Bring to a boil. If desired top with shredded cheese, sour cream, onion, and cilantro.

2 comments:

Mother of Invention said...

This sounds great...lots of fibre and complex carb! And I want that hearth in my house!

Rapunzel said...

Mother of Invention, I have dreams of that hearth as well! My bio dad has a wonderful little hunting cabin in the woods of Ohio, this hearth would work perfectly there. *hint* *hint* (just in case he's reading)