Saturday, April 7, 2007

On My Hearth: Penne Rigate with Chik'n


I found this recipe on the box of a Ronzoni Healthy Harvest pasta box. The original recipe is here, but I've changed things up just a bit to make it vegetarian.

First off, instead of the fresh onion & peppers, I used a bag of frozen mixed peppers & onion I had on hand. Since I'm foregoing chicken for now, I substituted the chicken breasts for Morningstar Farms® Meal Starters™ Chik'n Strips and one other small change is that I used two cans of seasoned diced tomatoes in lieu of the pasta sauce. I followed the rest of the recipe as directed, tho. I must say, it turned out delicious! I'm very pleased with the ease & conveniece of the redux and the final result was a tasty, hearty meal that the vegetarians in my house can also enjoy!

Penne Rigate with Chicken

Ingredients:
1 pkg. RONZONI HEALTHY HARVEST® Penne Rigate
1 each: yellow pepper, onion and garlic clove, chopped
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 jar Pasta Sauce (your favorite flavor)
3 grilled or cooked boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley or basil

Directions:
1. Cook Penne Rigate according to package directions.
2. Sauté pepper, onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in pasta sauce, chicken and parsley. Simmer 2-3 minutes.
3. Serve sauce over Penne Rigate.

Total Cooking Time: 15 minutes

Serves: 4

2 comments:

Aisling said...

Rapunzel, With your tweaks to make this vegetarian, it sounds very yummy! I just love those bags of frozen peppers and onions! It makes it so convenient to add some healthy color to a recipe! :)

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, aren't those bags so convenient? I once used them to make "sasage" & peppers, using Boca sausage, and they turned out fabulous!