Wednesday, April 4, 2007
On My Hearth: Spicy Black Bean Soup
I'm in the mood for a hearty, though meat-free, dinner, especially since Beron is going to be working out of town today and unlikely to be home by dinnertime.
This one has low POINTS and a nice kick, and is easy as well. Perfect!
Weight Watchers Spicy Black Bean Soup
POINTS® Value: 3
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate
The key to thickening this soup without flour? Pureeing some of the beans before cooking it. You'll love the stick-to-your-ribs texture that results.
* 1 sprays cooking spray
* 1 medium onion(s), finely chopped
* 4 medium garlic clove(s), minced
* 45 oz canned black beans, undrained, divided (three 15 oz cans)
* 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
* 1 tsp ground cumin
* 14 1/2 oz fat-free chicken broth, or vegetable broth
* 10 oz canned tomatoes with green chilies, such as Rotel Tomatoes
* 11 oz canned yellow corn, drained
* Coat bottom of a large stockpot with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until onions are soft but not brown, about 5 minutes.
* Place one can of beans in blender; add sautéed onion mixture, red pepper flakes and cumin. Cover and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds. Pour mixture back into stockpot.
* Place second can of beans and broth in blender and puree until smooth; add to stockpot.
* Stir third can of beans (do not puree first), tomatoes and green chilies, and corn into stockpot. Bring to a boil, lower heat to medium and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of soup per serving.