Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Stockings and Garters and Slips, Oh, My!


As I was getting dressed for work this morning I was thinking about a conversation I had with my friend Silke about slips, and how no one wears them anymore. I read in a fashion magazine the other day that slips are outdated, out of style, and unnecessary. Huh. I never knew this and I beg to differ. Not only does a slip fulfill it's original purpose of keeping folks from seeing through your dress, it's also sexy and girly and makes me feel like Maggie the Cat.

And what about stockings? Doesn't anyone don their legs anymore? I live in the tropics where it's too hot to wear clothes most of the time, so I'm assuming that's why even businesswomen have bare legs, but is that true? Do you Northern gals go about your day sans hosiery? I'm kinda sad about this because I love the look of garters & stockings but other than playing "dress up" occasionally I never wear them!

So, tell me, dear readers, is it me and my casual location? Or is this lack of undergarments widespread? My Inner Pin-up would really like to know.

6 comments:

Aisling said...

Rapunzel, Well, I live in the very chilly north as you know. Even our summers can be cool and breezy much of the time. And, here women do not generally wear slips or hose, except some of the older generation. I think it is a wide spread thing.

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

I wear both stockings and slips, but then again...I almost never wear dresses.

I live in NJ, hot as hell summers and cold winters.

Grace said...

I guess I'm still old-fashioned. My mom taught me to always wear a slip. However, I will go without a slip if it is a skirt/dress of denim or something so heavy there is no chance of seeing through it. I do wear hose with nicer outfits.

I guess it must be wide-spread because I've not been able to find a half-slip anywhere in the city I live in.

Mother of Invention said...

I do wear a slip but not always stockings, at least not in the summer. It's cold here in winter so we even wear tights sometimes.

Rapunzel said...

I went shopping yesterday and found that slips are in short supply out there! There are bunches of vintage ones on ebay, though, might have to check those out.

Abigail S said...

I don't wear slips... Mainly because I can't find a store that sells them!

I ALWAYS wear stocking, though. I get "chub-rub" when I don't. But most people up here (Pennsylvania) don't wear stockings. I'm a rarity.