Friday, June 15, 2007

Hukilua


Today is the day I've been waiting for for months..the annual Hukilau! I have never been before but ever since Kali told me about it I've been marking the days off my calendar. Kali is actually volunteering there today so Beren and I plan to head north this afternoon, it's only about 25 minutes from the Castle. I absolutely can't wait to see the mermaid show again, am going to encourage Beren to hop in there and take some pictures with them. I am also looking forward to shopping, and tasting yummy treats, and generally kicking back and having a good ol' time! I'll be sure to post an update later, if of course I haven't overindulged in tropical drinks and find myself swimming naked with the mermaids. Hey, it could happen!


Hukilau Review: We did indeed have a great time! The food was delicious, fruity concoction of drinks fantastic, the crowd friendly and fun-lovin.'

Of course I think the highlight of the evening was the mermaid show, there were three of them in the pool this time and they were just breathtakingly beautiful! I was thrilled later when they joined us at the bar for drinks and Kali and I were able to take a picture with them. What gracious and lovely ladies...er...mermaids they are!

My only purchase was a flower for my hair but I acquired quite a few business cards that I'll be sharing later..the Tiki folks are an interesting sub-culture which also includes fans of all things vintage, pin-ups, etc. The people-watching was awesome, as you can imagine!

The only thing I'd change is the main musical event, they started out with rockin' music that got the crowd up and dancing and then switched to a reaaaallly mellow band that put us all to sleep. We left halfway through the song set, before 10 pm! It's a shame, really, because we otherwise had a really nice time.

I'll definitely go again next year but will be hesitant to spend the $20.00 per ticket on the musical event; perhaps I'll do as Kali and volunteer for a few hours so that I can enjoy the entertainment cost-free!

8 comments:

Grace said...

I wanna come!!

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. Hopefully you found some nice things there.

Aisling said...

Have a great time! I'll be waiting to hear all about it! :)

Rapunzel said...

I wish you all could've been there, how about a road trip next year?!

Mother of Invention said...

What a fun thing! And you look fabulously mermaidish!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Mother of Invention! *blush*

the domestic minx said...

How absolutely divine!!!

I LOVE mermaids and would definitely have found myself swimming amongst them.

You look gorgeous darling with that flower in your hair!!

x

Rapunzel said...

Why, thank you, Minx! My sweetie swears that I have a mermaid body..dear man still sees me through rose-colored glasses! I love that about him.

You must come visit me sometime and we'll frolic in the ocean and pretend to be mermaids!