Monday, June 25, 2007

Pool Party!


Yesterday Beren and I had the honor and pleasure of hosting a surprise 50th birthday party for our good friend, Greg. We planned this gathering the day before the big event, and if you know anything about me at all you'll realize just how impossible that sounds! I am the ultimate planner, love to have everything organized and thought out down to the most minute details. I will search for weeks for the perfect tableware, decorations, etc., and everything must have a theme. I love hosting parties but everything must be perfect. This event, however, was a different story! I had no time for such details so I had to put my perfectionism aside and just go for it! We ended up with about 20 guests, coming & going at various times from about 1 - 9 pm. Greg's wife and I handled the shopping, I did a bit of cleaning, Beren worked his magic on the grill, Greg's band performed in my backyard, the kids splashed in the pool, we kept the food & drinks coming and we all had a fabulous time! When the clouds moved in and the band had to break down their equipment and cut the set short, we just moved the merrymaking into the patio where we continued to be entertained by acoustic guitars, makeshift drums and beautiful vocals by bandmembers and guests alike. By the end of the night we were tired yet completely satiated and I myself was ever-so-grateful for the wonderful friends who visited the Castle!

11 comments:

Susan said...

Hey, M ~

Thanks for the invite, but we had our own music party in the making from 5 p.m. until the wee hours of the morning - yours sounds like a blast!

Rapunzel said...

Susan, and I'm so sorry that I missed your party! If only we could've combined the two, huh? ;-)

Abigail S said...

That sounds like a great time!

LadyTerri said...

Sounds like you guys had a lovely time :) so sorry I havn't been around latley but I have been so busy with the move and all but I am starting to get back into the swing of things :)

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

Sometimes those types of parties are the best...themes are nice, but the stress level can be unbelievable.

the domestic minx said...

Oh I wish I had been there!!
It sounds as if it was brilliant fun!

I too am a party planner extraordinaire, Rapunzel.
I am insatiably pedantic about everything being "just right" and will move heaven and earth to do just that!!
I will call you over when I plan my next extravaganza!!

Janet said...

Ok share share - what is the drink? Your party sounds wonderful. I am sometimes paralyzed wanting my party to be perfect and then I don't enjoy myself.

Anonymous said...

Yes -- we helped out a party over the weekend too! Usually I'm the planner but our best parties are truly serendipitious (is that a word? LOL) and so much fun! We 've even hosted spur-of-the-moment parties on the front sidewalk with the neighbours! And our Halloween kitchen parties (we do live on Lot 13, Block 13 on Cemetery Hill) are great fun! Your party sounds marvellous!

Jan x at Rosemary Cottage -- with so much rain that the animals really are gathering two-by-two!

Rapunzel said...

Minx, I am counting on that invitation! I will have my leopard-print suitcase packed in a heartbeat!

Rapunzel said...

LadyTerri, so glad you're back! I missed your writing. :)

Silverneurotic, I agree about the stress level, and this one was relatively low. Whew!

Abigail, wish you were here! We'd have had such fun. :)

Janet, I must confess, I have no idea what that drink is. *blush* I just copied that shot from somewhere on the 'net because it looked so lovely!

Rapunzel said...

Jan, count me in for that Halloween party! Samhain is my favorite holiday! Of course, Beren says that whatever holiday is coming up is my favorite. ;)