Sunday, July 22, 2007

On My Hearth: Pride of Erin Soup



This is probably going to end up on tomorrow's hearth since today is already looking to be a pool/bbq day such as yesterday, but I want to post the recipe now while I'm thinking about it.

Continuing on with our own little "veggie adventure," we have decided to skip the letters H, I, and J because there simply weren't enough vegetable choices for those alphabets. So we are moving on to Kale for K, which happens to be one of my favorites! I know, it's not soup season but so what? I'll turn down the newly-repaired a/c, put some Celtic music on the cd player and pretend that it's Springtime in Ireland! *wink* We are actually going to watch one of my all-time favorite movies while we dine, The Secret of Roan Inish. If you haven't seen this little gem, do yourselves a favor and rent it! Lovely, lovely movie with the most breathtaking scenery! Very kid-friendly but be forewarned, the accents are thick and it's sometimes difficult to understand the dialogue. No matter, though, you can understand the plot enough by just watching. Prepare to be charmed.


I'm going to serve this along with my ex-mother-in-law's Irish Soda bread recipe. Hers is not very different than many of the soda bread recipes out there, it just has special meaning to me and the only one I'll ever bake. She's a lovely lady, a real Irish gal, and even 20 years after our divorce I absolutely adore her. Above is a picture of Herself and Beren, taken at Strider's wedding last weekend. (yes, he's madly in love with her as well, and who could blame him?)

We will also, of course, be sipping some hearty stout, wouldn't be an Irish feast without it now, would it?

From A Veggie Venture, of course!

PRIDE of ERIN SOUP

Hands-on time: 25 minutes
Time to table: 60 minutes
Makes 6 cups

COMBINE in a LARGE BOWL, COVER, LET REST 5 MINUTES, DRAIN.
Boiling water to cover
16 ounces chopped cabbage (I used a bag for coleslaw with bits of carrot)
1 medium potato, skin on, diced (confession: I had no potatoes, used the potatoes from a can, yes, a can of stew vegetables, they worked fine!)
2 cups chopped kale or other leafy green (I also added a cabbage sprout)

HEAT JUST TO BOILING IN THE MICROWAVE
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 1/2 cups skim milk

SEE DETAIL
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon caraway (delightful with cabbage, the inspiring recipe called for 1/2 teaspoon mace)
1 large onion, diced
2 tablespoons flour

DETAIL: In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter with the caraway. Add the onion and let soften, stirring often. Stir in the flour, let cook 1 minute. Stir in the drained cabbage mixture and stir well to blend. Add the hot liquid. Adjust heat to maintain a slow simmer (this took several adjustments, you don't want the milky mixture to boil) and cook til cabbage is cooked, about 20 minutes. Do a few spurts with an immersion blender, creating a creamy base but leaving texture and chunks.

TRANSFER TO BOWLS & GARNISH
2 tablespoons chopped chive (for garnish)
Bits of a stinky cheese (for garnish)

NUTRITION ESTIMATE
Per Serving: 171 Cal (15% from Fat, 21% from Protein, 64% from Carb); 9 g Protein; 3 g Tot Fat; 2 g Sat Fat; 29 g Carb; 4 g Fiber; NetCarb25; 238 mg Calcium; 2 mg Iron; 343 mg Sodium; 8 mg Cholesterol; Weight Watchers 3 points

CREDIT WHERE CREDIT'S DUE
Adapted from Bon Appetit June 1995

1 comment:

Julie said...

Are you Irish??? I was adopted, so I just tell people I am a Pound Puppy! ...but I think I get a bit of Irish credit because I was born on St. Patrick's Day!

BTW ~ You sound much better now!!