Sunday, September 23, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Today is my Mom's birthday! Since she doesn't care about such things I'll tell you: Mom is 67 today. She sure doesn't look it, does she?! My Dad's a lucky guy!



She has requested her favorite dish of mine, Stuffed Shells. Since she is not a fan of spinach, I always make a batch for her sans the green stuff. I bought a strawberry cheesecake, her usual b/d request. Her other favorite is coconut cake; when I was a little girl I decided to make her one, I believe I tossed an entire bag of coconut on the top of that poor cake, but Mom ate it anyway and claimed it was delicious. What a trooper! I'm so pleased that the whole family will be here today, none of the kids have to work. So we'll wine & dine and open gifts, generally have a good ol' time!

I love you, Mommy. Hope you have a wonderful day!!

Stuffed Shells Florentine Recipe

This is a favorite in my house, have been making it for 20 years now, it always on our Christmas Eve menu! I think this is part of the reason my kids love spinach! If I'm serving non-spinach lovers, I simply split the cheese mixture before stuffing and add the greens to only half.

Ingredients

* 1 Package (12oz) Jumbo Shells
* 4 cups (32oz) ricotta cheese
* 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, diced or shredded
* 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
* 10 oz frozen spinach
* 2 eggs
* 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 jar (32oz) spaghetti sauce


Directions

1. Prepare pasta as directed on package, cooking 9 minutes; drain. Rinse with cold water, drain and arrange in single layer to fill.
2. Thaw and drain spinach, set aside.
3. Mix together cheeses, eggs, drained spinach, parsley, salt, and pepper . Fill cooked shells with cheese mixture.
4. Cover bottom of roasting pan with some of the sauce. Arrange filled shells in single layer in the pan. Pour remaining sauce over shells and bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until hot. (I usually cover the pan with foil, uncover for the last 15 minutes). Sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.

5 comments:

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

Happy birthday Mama Rapunzel!

And great choice for a meal.

Aisling said...

Happy Birthday to Mom. I hope you had a wonderful time together. :)

the domestic minx said...

Oh Happy Birthday Mum!!!
You are beautiful x
and would make a fabulous playmate for my own dear Mumkins, who turned 67 in August!!!

xox

Lesley said...

Hope your Mum had a great day, Rapunzel, and enjoyed the meal you cooked for her!

Mother of Invention said...

She does look great and your dad too! You look like a combo of both of them but mostly your mom.
That recipe is a bit of work and I never can handle slippery cooked pasta. I always use oven ready lasagne...otherwise they're on the floor. You sound like you love to cook and have people over without even getting frazzled! Wish I could say the same!