It's a dreary, rainy day here, perfect weather for a nice pot of soup! We're going back to our little veggie adventure, on the letter "K" this week so I'm making Kale and Chickpea Soup with Parmesan. This recipe is from Jack Bishop’s A Year In A Vegetarian Kitchen.
* 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more to drizzle over the bowls
* 2 medium onions, finely chopped
* 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped
* 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
* 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
* 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
* 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
* 6 cups water
* 1 Parmesan cheese rind
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 sprig fresh rosemary
* 3/4 lb. kale, leaves stripped from tough stalks, stalks discarded, and leaves chopped (about 6 packed cups)
* 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for the table
Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes and 1 tsp salt and bring to a simmer. Add the chickpeas and simmer for 5 minutes.
Add the water, cheese rind, bay leaves, and rosemary and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer about 30 minutes to blend the flavors. Add kale and continue to simmer until kale is tender, another 10 to 15 minutes. Adjust the seasoning, adding more salt to taste. Remove the bay leaves, cheese rind, and rosemary.
Ladle the soup into bowls and drizzle some olive oil over each portion. Sprinkle with cheese, and serve, passing more cheese at the table to taste.