Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Cruelty of Nature


We cat-owners are well-aware of the hunting prowess of our feline friends, have undoubtedly been gifted with bugs, lizards, birds, etc. that the precious creatures have hunted and killed for us. At that point we are supposed to praise the pet, stroke her head and quietly dispose of the victim. I accept that, I understand the reasoning, the fact that the primal need to hunt is still quite present even in those "domesticated." What I have a hard time with, what I'm sick over this morning, is coming home from a road trip to find that one of other other pets have been at the receiving end of such wildness. It appears that Jezebel, left to her own devices for a whole day, apparently discovered a way to "free" Lily's baby rat from his cage. We found the empty cage and of course expected the worse but somehow hoped for the best. So, with Beren sleeping soundly beside me, I lay in bed and waited, knowing that once the house became dark and quiet the little guy would reveal himself and then hopefully I could catch him before the cats did. No such luck. Within moments I heard scurrying on my floor, then Jezebel leapt on my bed meowing loudly. I jumped up to find a dead little rat on the floor, right in the front of my bed. Sobbing and gasping, I took care of the body while Jezzie watched, no doubt awaiting her kudos. Sorry, not this time. I understand nature, I respect and honor the circle of life, but having to wake Lily with the news this morning, watching her break down in sobs and curse the cat...I'm don't think that praise will be forthcoming anytime soon.

Update: Jezebel is forgiven and Lily has a new baby thanks to her mommy and Kevin who went to the pet store and adopted the deceased one's brother. He is a cutie, an albino with shiny pink eyes, perfect for Halloween! *wink*

5 comments:

Lesley said...

How horrible, Rapunzel, I'm so sorry.

Lesley said...

Btw, I took the DH test - I'm Susan. I'm happy with that as she's my favourite character. :-D

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Lesley. Lindsey is out for the day, when she comes home there will be a "replacement" rat for her, hope it helps. sigh.

I love Susan, too! I don't think I have much in common with Gabriel actually.

Anonymous said...

Darling! So sorry about that horrible but so real cycle of hunting! Perhaps the rat cage could be higher up and very well secured? Perhaps a catnip mousie and a catnip filled scratching-wheel for the Jez? Just a thought!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage where any bug silly enough to enter here ends up looking like a horrible farming accident -- thanks to four bloodthirtsy indoor cats .......

Mother of Invention said...

Aw! It's so double-edged like that sword. Por cats don't realize they've hurt something you love..it's just instinct. Sorry it had to happen.