Monday, October 22, 2007

On My Hearth: Broccoli-Noodle Casserole

I don't normally cook on Mondays, we usually just munch on leftovers or grab something prepared from the freezer. Today, however, I feel like making something filling for my girls; they've been living on leftover party fare since the weekend and have to be sick of it by now!

Broccoli-noodle Casserole Recipe

I like to use whole wheat, yolk-free noodles, low-fat soup, mayo and cheese in this dish to make it more healthy.

Ingredients

* * 2 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped broccoli
* * 8 ounces medium egg noodles
* * 2 eggs, beaten
* * 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup
* * 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
* * 1 cup mayonnaise
* * 2 tablespoons minced onion
* * 1/2 cup milk
* * cracker crumbs


Directions

1. Cook the broccoli according to the package directions; drain. Cook the egg noodles according to the package directions; drain. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, soup, cheese, mayonnaise, onion, and milk. Add the broccoli.
3. In a greased 2-1/2-quart casserole, make several alternating layers of broccoli, sauce, and noodles, beginning and ending with broccoli. Top with cracker crumbs. Bake for 45 minutes. Serve hot.

4 comments:

Mother of Invention said...

Sounds great! I'd add chicken for protein and be looking for Fat-free mayo which I'm not sure I've seen in canada. You guys have so much more low/no fat food.

Rapunzel said...

Mother of Invention, the chicken would've made a nice addition! My kids aren't eating meat at the moment though. :-) I used light mayo, tend to steer away from fat-free dairy, just don't like the taste.

Grace @ Rose Cottage Lane said...

This sounds heavenly! I just love a yummy, cheesy broccoli casserole!

Rapunzel said...

Grace, it was really tasty, from the little bite I had. ;-) Apparently my girls loved it, too, as there is only 1 scoop left!