Tuesday, October 23, 2007

What Makes You Feel Secure?


Some time ago I saw this question posed, either in a blog, magazine, somewhere..and it made me think. The responses ranged from the obvious: money, happy relationship, etc. to the unusual: a linen closet filled with fluffy white towels. In my case, once I get past the necessities (enough cash in the bank to pay my bills and a loving family), it's got to be a fully-stocked pantry.

I'm not sure where this comes from as we were never so poor as to be concerned about food, but I'm not comfortable unless my freezer and pantry are filled. I need to know that no matter what happens, I can feed my family for a few days (weeks?) from what I have on hand. Beren teases me about it, shakes his head every time I say I need to go food shopping, can't understand what we could possibly need. Well, we don't need anything per se, but I like to stock up when things are on sale, am a fanatic for BOGO specials, combine them with coupons and I'm a happy gal! The kids know that if they ever run out of anything, a quick trip to the "Rapunzel store" should fulfill their needs.

I love being able to throw together a meal (such as last night's casserole) without having to leave the house, just using items I've already purchased at a good price. Sometimes I'll get creative and pick an item from the pantry or freezer, try to make a meal around that ingredient. I've come up with some interesting dishes, let me tell you!

Now, I must admit that my pantry looks nothing like the above pic..sigh...if only! Mine consists of a cabinet in my kitchen as well as several shelves in the laundry room. Someday, though, I'll have the pantry of my dreams...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah!!! The pantry of my dreams too! I would just LOVE to have a space like that in my kitchen! I have a tiny closet and a couple of shelves for non-food items in the garage -- thats it! And it is so wonderful to have that feeling of a FULL-and-happy fridge, freezer and cupboards!

Jan x at Rosemary Cottage who was just making another shopping list!

Jen said...

I am this way too, if there's lots of food in the pantry, I worry less.

Rapunzel said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way! Someday we'll have that pantry, won't we? :-)

Aisling said...

I have a pantry under the stairs to my basement with lots of shelves, but it is very unfinished. It's not pretty, just practical. I fill it when I can with things on sale or when a little extra money comes our way. I have had to worry about having enough money to feed the family, so I am especially relieved when the pantry is full.

RubyShooZ said...

That photo is so nice and wouldn't it be nice to have everything so organized?

You sound much like me in the being prepared with meals at a moment's notice - no matter what. That sure is a great secure feeling. Another thing that makes me feel secure is having water stored. I've had the occasions where the power went off and we had very little water and had to go out and buy some and it's just something that has stuck with me.

Peace to you today and an always filled panty as well. ~ RS ~

Mother of Invention said...

You obviously love to cook and bake so you should put together a cookbook! Even if you don't publish it, you could make a copy for each of your family members and friends, and maybe online too for us!! What a great present that would be if my mom had done that!

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, you are so good at whipping up a meal with whatever you have on hand, I so admire that quality!

Ruby, the water storage is a great idea as well! I need to to that, should've learned from the hurricanes of 2005. *gulp*

Mother of Invention, I have thought about doing that but never got around to it. Might be a good Yule gift, huh? Thank you for the encouragement!