Monday, October 15, 2007

Wolf Awareness Week


This is National Wolf Awareness Week as well as Blog Action Day so I'm choosing to focus on one of my special environmental causes - saving my precious wolves.

National Wolf Awareness Week, October 14-20, 2007 is a time to dispel misconceptions about wolves and to teach about the important role these predators play in maintaining healthy ecosystems. It takes place the 3rd week of October every year.

The wolf is a striking symbol of wild nature, yet it has long been shrouded by myth and superstition. Earlier this century, wolves were methodically exterminated from nearly all of their historic range.

National Wolf Awareness Week encourages conservation efforts not only for wolves, but for all wild species. Defenders of Wildlife sponsors events nationwide to celebrate wolves, please check out their website to see how you can help.



In addition, I have discovered an easy way to help the animals by doing something you're probably already doing: shopping!

IGive is a simple way to help the cause of your choice while making purchases from reputable online retailers, what a cool idea!

Here's the link to the Shy Wolf Sanctuary site, please take a peek and consider signing up to help the wolves and other animals that have taken refuge at this phenomenal place. Thanks so much!

3 comments:

Jen said...

I had no idea it was Wolf Awareness week, but we took the kids to the zoo today, and found a corner of the zoo I'd never seen...guess what was there? The wolves! I've never seen them up close before, it's totally awe inspiring. Such beautiful creatures.

Lesley said...

We no longer have wild wolves in the UK, but there was some talk about reintroducing them a while back - in Scotland, I think. I agree, they are beautiful animals.

Julie said...

Cool - we have cyotes (sp??) at the farm. I love hearing them howel at night.