Saturday, November 10, 2007

Cooking Therapy


So, here's the thing: when I get anxious, I head to the kitchen. No, not necessarily to eat which I do sometimes as well, but to cook. Something about mixing and measuring takes the edge off my mood, relaxes and redirects me. So, when you see me posting bunches of recipes and doing bulk cooking, you know why.

With that in mind, I present the latest "therapy," a cornbread recipe from the book Consuming Passions by Michael Lee West, one of my favorite authors. This is not the most healthy cooking but, damn it's delicious! A perfect accompaniment to the stew below.

Now, Ms. West advises you to grease your cast iron skillet with about 2 teas. bacon grease, put it in the oven at 400 degrees for 3-4 minutes, so I did just that. (I told you it wasn't healthy!)

Cornbread

3/4 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons to 1/4 cup sugar (optional)
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk or buttermilk
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder

Mix it all up and pour into the pan. Bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Cool. Cut into squares, slice open, and butter.

1 comment:

Mother of Invention said...

I love cornbread! It tastes so good hot with real butter and maple syrup! We make "Johnnycake" and have it this way too.