Monday, November 26, 2007


Daily Om: November 26, 2007
Brand-New Day
Inner Sunrise


When today is not going well, it is tempting to focus on tomorrow as a blank slate with all the possibilities that newness provides. It is true that tomorrow will be a brand-new day, but we do not have to wait until tomorrow to start fresh. We can start fresh at any moment, clearing our energy field of any negativity that has accumulated, and call this very moment the beginning of our brand-new day.

There is something about the sunrise and the first few hours of the morning that make us feel cleansed and rejuvenated, ready to move forward enthusiastically. As the day wears on, we lose some of this dynamic energy and the inspiration it provides. This may be why we look forward to tomorrow as providing the possibility of renewal. Many traditions consider the light of the rising sun to be particularly divine in its origins; this is why so many people in the world face east when performing ritual. We too can cultivate that rising sun energy inside ourselves, carrying it with us to light our way through any time of day or night, drawing on its power to awaken and renew our spirits.

One simple way to do this is to carry an image or a photograph of the rising sun with us in our wallet or purse. We can also post this image on our wall at work or at home, or have it as our screensaver on our computer. When we feel the need to start fresh, we can take a moment to gaze at the image, allowing its light to enter into our hearts. As we do this, we might say out loud or quietly to ourselves, I am ready to let go of the past and start anew. We might visualize anything we want to release leaving us as we exhale, and as we inhale, we can take in the fresh energy of the eastern sun, allowing it to light the way to a brand-new day.


I'll try to heed the above advice and consider this a "new day," but since today started with me feeling slightly ill, quite worn-out and rather put-upon, it's not going to be easy.

In the spirit of always keeping this blog "real" and honest, sharing the bad along with the good, I confess that I am not in the best mood this morning, nor have I been for a couple of days now. I awoke Friday with a horrible neck and shoulder ache, pain to the point where I was popping 2 Advil every 4 hours. I'm not sure how I strained my muscles this badly, imagine it had something to do with the horribly-uncomfortable movie theater seats Thursday night combined with all-day cooking, but who knows. The end result is that I am still in pain, though not as bad. To top that off I have a sore throat and congestion, not enough to knock me off my feet but enough to be annoying.

In addition to those ailments I am also exhausted, just plum wore out as my kinfolk would say. 4 solid days of having everyone home, cooking at least 2 meals a day, cleaning up messes, doing dishes, etc. etc. is wearing on me. And, frankly, I'm tired of entertaining! Beren's girls have been with us for 4 days and while they are sweet, lovely, well-mannered children, they are still several years younger than my daughters, still somewhat guests in my home and require a different level of care/attention. Yes, I let Beren handle most of it but there are times with a Mom-type-person is needed as well.

So, after a relaxing Sunday afternoon on Ft Lauderdale beach sipping frozen mojitos and watching the cruise ships deport, I came back to reality: home and prepared dinner, cleaned up, took a shower and promptly went to bed. At 8:15 pm. I was invited to join Lily at the gym this morning at 5, so I figured a good night's sleep would allow that. I set my alarm, arose at the proper time, only to find that my daughter had changed her mind and would rather sleep than work out. No problem, I got dressed and ready to go alone. Except that there are two things you absolutely need at the gym: your membership card and your iPod (the music there is atrocious). Hmm..membership card is MIA and my iPod? Battery dead, headphones nowhere to be found. A quick search through pitch-black bedroom and an inquiry posed to children resulted in nothing. So, here I sit, frustrated and aggravated, sore neck & throat, feeling very annoyed and put-upon indeed. Today's agenda holds no comfort: we are taking Beren's girls to a birthday party at a laser tag place after Jezebel's visit to the vet this morning. *groan* I am exhausted and the day hasn't even officially begun..perhaps I'll just go back to bed and hope for a better sunrise.

1 comment:

Mother of Invention said...

Well, at least you had good intentions of working out! I always go alone and I still take an old-fashioned portable cd player I wear on a belt! I walk around with Nordic walking poles which look like ski poles so I get lots of funny comments, especially in the good weather when there is no snow! Hope all your aches and pains subside. I have some totally all the time because of fibromyalgia and some other diabetic-related foot problems and I know how disheartening it is. I have to force myself through the pain and sometimes, I just don't go, it hurts so much. I can't take too much tylenol due to liver problems. Anyway, we all push and struggle on!