Sunday, November 4, 2007

On My Hearth: Crockpot Vegetable Gumbo

I have some leftover corn-on-the-cob from earlier in the week and a frozen bag of Vegetable Gumbo so I'm going to make a quick & easy version of the below recipe. I'll serve it over brown rice for a healthy vegetarian meal!

Crockpot Vegetable Gumbo

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 cup vegetable broth
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
* 2 ribs celery, chopped
* 1 garlic clove, minced
* 1 pound okra, sliced, fresh or frozen
* 1 pound tomatoes, chopped, fresh or canned
* 2 cups corn kernels, fresh, frozen, canned
* 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
* 1/4 teaspoon paprika
* 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
* 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
* salt and pepper, to taste
* non-stick vegetable coating spray

PREPARATION:
In crockpot, combine vegetable broth, onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours. Add okra, tomatoes, and corn, along with Tabasco, paprika, parsley, basil, and salt and pepper. Cover and cook 2 to 3 hours longer.

Serves 4 to 6.

2 comments:

Aisling said...

How did the gumbo turn out? Sounded great.

Mother of Invention said...

Looks easy but I've never had okra and don't know if I like it. I bet I could sub something else in though.