Saturday, November 10, 2007

On My Hearth: Southern Brunswick Stew


We are on the letter "O" for our little veggie adventure, had to skip "N" because I simply couldn't find any suitable vegetable beginning with that letter! So I have decided to make a dish with Okra. Now, I happen to love okra, my Dad and I have that in common, but it wasn't always the case. When I was a little girl he used to fry it up for dinner and my Mom and I would sit and watch in disgust as he devoured the slimy-looking things, we laughingly called them "daisies." As an adult I tried them again and found them to be quite appealing if cooked properly, and they are certainly a nice addition to soups & stews which is exactly what I'm going to do with them tonight. (I know, I just had Okra the other day in a similar recipe but Beren's girls weren't here to..uh..enjoy it. *wink*)

I had this bag of McKenzie's Soup Mix with Tomatoes in my freezer, am going to use the recipe on the back of the package with a few alterations. First, I'm using my crockpot instead of stovetop; this way, when Beren's girls arrive this evening dinner will be ready to go. I am using boneless chicken breast because that's what I have on hand, also added some Penzey's Chicken Soup Base and Seasoning to give it a richer flavor.

Southern Brunswick Stew

7 cups water
3-lb whole broiler-fryer chicken, cut up, skim removed
3 celery tops with leaves
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 pkg. (16 oz) McKenzie's Vegetable Soup Mix with Tomatoes
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

In a 4-qt saucepan, combine water, chicken, celery tops, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Discard celery tops and bay leaf. Remove chicken from pan. Cut meat from bones into chunks. Cover and set aside. Meanwhile, add vegetables to pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover. Reduce heat to low. Simmer 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce. Cook 5 - 10 minutes or until hot.

No comments: