Thursday, December 27, 2007

Holiday Joy & Madness


Clearly I haven't been around the Blogisphere much and I apologize if anyone's been concerned. The holiday season here at the castle has been typical I guess - a generous amount of stress sprinkled with many bright spots and shining moments. There have been family issues which often rear their ugly heads around Christmas; nerves are frayed, emotions and expectations run high. We know intellectually that the Norman Rockwell paintings aren't reality but yet year after year we secretly try to reproduce them anyway.

This year I had the pleasure of celebrating Christmas Eve at Kali's house, the first time I have "passed the torch" for that tradition. She did a fabulous job, we all had a wonderful time. However, it was blindingly clear what a truly blended family we are as I sat around her living room with Beren, his children, my children, Kali's future in-laws, my parents, and not just one but two of my ex-husbands! Whew! We all pulled it off, smoothed the tension with spiked egg nog, chardonnay, and a lot of laughter. It was a wonderful evening, it truly was. Not Rockwell-esque by any means but we are still family in our wild & wacky way. Still bound together despite divorces, remarriages, slight misunderstandings & outright fights. There is still love and a deep knowing that no matter what we will be there for each other. We are family.

So I'll continue to trudge along for the next few days, fight my post-holiday blues and stay positive. I'll try to remember that things are especially tense at this time of year, will attempt to not take remarks and slights personally and do my best to be sensitive about others' feelings. I'll pack away my hurts along with the tinsel and ornaments and will look forward to the fresh new year, full of possibility and promise and more opportunity to learn and love & grow.

A Belated Merry Christmas to you all.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Hey, M ~

Nice to hear your holidays went well - chaos and drama comes and goes... but family, in all its incarnations, is forever!

We pulled into the driveway a few hours ago and I'm *exhausted*... but didn't want to let another minute go by without wishing you a peaceful and joyous season - my cards will go out in the next few days... but be on the lookout for another mailbox delivery tomorrow (Friday... :-)

Take care - much love always... <3

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Susan! Hope to see you "live" soon. ;-) xoxoxo

Aisling said...

Rapunzel, I'm glad to see you posting again! I've been a bit worried. Did you get my email?

Your holidays sound wonderful and authentic to me. Norman Rockwellesque perfection is kind of eerie, if you ask me!

love and hugs,
Aisling

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, I did not receive your email! I'm so sorry, can you re-send?

big hugs to you, too, my dear friend!

Aisling said...

Rapunzel,

Will you email me first? I must be using an outdated email addy for you, because I just tried to forward my note to you (it was from Dec. 13) and got a DAEMON mailer return. Thanks! :)