Thursday, December 27, 2007
On My Hearth: Chicken and Corn Chili
Years ago I was a frequent buyer of Family Circle and Woman's Day magazines, found them to be chock-full of entertainment & information for my growing family. Since my children have gotten older, though, I have passed by them on the grocery store rack and canceled my subscriptions some. I just didn't think they really fit into my divorced-mom-of-teens lifestyle but for some reason I have been gravitating toward them again lately, perhaps because of the attractive holiday covers but also because I'm watching my budget and as a result are purchasing fewer magazines in general. (I used to love Real Simple and Oprah but they disappoint me more & more - who can possibly afford the "simple" items advertised in the former and the latter..well, let's just say that we aren't all billionaires, Oprah!) Anyway, as I said I have picked up a couple of my old faves and have been pleasantly surprised! I planned my whole Solstice Menu from recipes in each and am pleased to say that they got rave reviews. Heartened by that, tonight I'm going to try another tasty-looking dish courtesy of Family Circle. I substituted vegetable broth for the chicken, Morningstar Farms Chick'n Strips for the real thing so that the vegetarians will enjoy it as well as the carnivores.
Chicken and Corn Chili
Makes: 6 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: Slow-cook for 4 hours on HIGH, 6 hours on LOW
* 1 large onion, chopped
* 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
* 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
* 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
* 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
* 1-3/4 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with jalapenos, drained
* 1-1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed
* 2 cans (15 ounces each) cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
* 2 tablespoons stone-ground cornmeal
* Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine onion, chicken, low-sodium broth, green pepper, jalapeno, 1-1/2 teaspoons of the cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 6 hours.
2. Remove the chicken to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly. Shred the chicken and return it to the slow cooker with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each of the cumin and cayenne, and the tomatoes, corn and beans. Gently mash some of the beans against the side of the bowl to thicken the chili. Stir in the cornmeal and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Let sit a few minutes to soften the cornmeal. Serve sprinkled with a little of the Monterey Jack cheese.