Monday, December 17, 2007

On My Hearth: Mushroom and Wild Rice Slow Cooker Stew

Well, the temperature dropped below 80 this weekend so I'm craving stew! This one sounds really tasty, I love mushrooms!


Weight Watchers Mushroom and Wild Rice Slow Cooker Stew

POINTS® Value: 4
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 17 min
Cooking Time: 420 min
Level of Difficulty: Easy

Browning the vegetables in this one-pot meal brings out their natural sweetness. The extra work is worth the flavor boost.

Ingredients

* 1 1/2 tsp olive oil
* 2 cup leek(s), finely chopped, white parts only (about 2 large leeks)
* 2 cup shiitake mushroom(s), sliced
* 1 cup carrot(s), diced
* 3 cup vegetable broth
* 1 tsp table salt
* 1 cup uncooked wild rice

Instructions

* Heat oil in large nonstick skillet. Add leeks and mushrooms and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. (Note: If you’re in a hurry, skip this step and simply add all the ingredients directly to the slow cooker.)

* Spoon leeks and mushrooms into a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker. Add carrots, broth, salt and rice; cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Yields about 1 1/2 cups per serving.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Yummy - and diet too! I love mushrooms. Every had a Portabello "hamburger"?

I am gload to hear all is well. I dropped by a few times and did not see a new post and figured you were just busy. Tis the season! Well - if you have a moment to relax and would like to read a funny destressing story - I posted a true story on my blog that will make you chuckle (at my expense!)

Mother of Invention said...

Thanks for all these great recipes! My computer's dead so I can't get on my hubby's that much...hence the decreased visits and posts.

Wishing you the Merriest of holidays!

Julie said...

Hey - where have you been??? I hope you had an amazing Christmas!