Saturday, January 5, 2008

On My Hearth: Spaghetti Squash Marinara


As I told Julie, I loooovve spaghetti squash! I've just recently started cooking various squashes, have never experimented before. I wonder if it's because of where we live, squash is not popular here in the tropics? I have a butternut squash here at well, will be preparing that in the coming days.

Beren and I are taking his girls out for pizza on the beach tonight but I really don't want pizza so I'll eat this beforehand, have a small salad and a glass of wine at the pizza joint.

Spaghetti Squash Marinara

POINTS® Value: 2
Servings: 4
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 40 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate

A classic Italian-inspired recipe with one delicious and waistline-friendly change: spaghetti squash instead of pasta!

Ingredients

* 1 medium raw spaghetti squash, (about 2 1/2 lb)
* 1 tsp olive oil
* 1 small onion(s), chopped
* 1 tsp garlic clove(s), minced
* 14 1/2 oz canned stewed tomatoes, cut up
* 1 tsp Italian seasoning
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions

* Preheat oven to 350ºF.

* Halve squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut sides down, in a large baking dish and prick skin all over with a fork. Bake until tender, 30 to 40 minutes.

* Meanwhile, to make the sauce, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and Italian seasoning; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring often, 5 minutes or until desired consistency.

* To serve, carefully rake the stringy squash pulp from the skin with a fork, separating it into strands that look like spaghetti. Spoon sauce over squash and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yields about 1 1/2 cups of squash, 1/4 cup of sauce and 1 tablespoon of cheese per serving.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I ADdore baked acron squash -- split and roasted in the oven. Yummy!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage who loves parsnips and other root veggies .... just an earthy kind of gal ....LOL!

~*SilverNeurotic*~ said...

This sounds really yummy...but thanks to my dad we don't eat squash...ever. He has it in his mind he hates it, therefore we just don't bother buying it. He won't even try anything with pumpkin!

Julie said...

Although I have eaten spaghetti squash, but never have prepared it for myself. I am so glad you posted this! Also - LOVE the photo that says what squash is what.