Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Green Stuff


With St Patrick's Day right around the corner I find myself focusing on the green stuff, and I don't mean just cabbage and colored beer. Since it's also tax season and I work for an accountant, my mind is also on money. I am constantly running numbers through my head, my own finances as well as our clients'. I've always been careful with cash but am not a tightwad, think I know when to pinch a penny and when to indulge. I tend to cut corners on things that don't matter to me such as clothing (I don't care what label is on my jeans) but am more than willing to pay a cleaning lady twice a month to keep the castle in good shape. I've found some really good blogs & websites to assist & inspire me and really consider frugal living a hobby as well as a way of life. I could do much better, however, and in fact have made that a goal of mine for 2008.

Fortunately Beren and I have the same philosophy; I clip coupons, shop sales and discount stores, he loves to hear how much I saved on our grocery bill. We have a budget and do our best to stick to it, record nearly every dollar we spend in Quickbooks. We both adore thrift stores and rarely visit a new town without doing some junkin'. That's what we're headed out to do today as a matter of fact. I'll let you know what treasures we find!



P.S. We found a few goodies today: some really pretty cobalt blue salad plates, two pieces of vintage Pyrex casseroles which I use constantly and am always searching for, and a traveling bar which we're going to fill with a few bottles and gift to Kali and Kevin for their honeymoon. Shhh..don't tell them!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Good luck! I'm trying to be more frugal as well. I love Being Frugal.net, it's a great site.

Mom2fur said...

This is what being frugal is all about--saving money on things that don't really matter to you so you can buy better quality on things that do!
If you link to frugalblogs.blogspot.com, you can find a huge list of frugal blogs that might help you with your goals! BTW, my blog "Sorta Frugal" isn't on the list, mostly because I never got around to it, LOL!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Jen! It's a struggle to make ends meet sometimes with the economy the way it is, need to cut corners where we can.

Rapunzel said...

Mom2fur, thanks for stopping by! I'm headed over to your blog right now. I need all the help I can get. :-)

Teacats said...

An excellent posting -- and very true! I shop discount stores, clearance aisles --- and SALE is one of favorite four-letter words! Just sitting here checking the weekend sales in the newspaper -- and sorting out a shopping list -- hard to believe some of the food prices these days!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Aisling said...

I have made being frugal a way of life for years now, but with the economy in the absolute pits, I'm having to tighten up on some things too. I'm going to check out the websites you linked to.

What fun finds! I never find that vintage pyrex and I would really like to! Good for you!

kim said...

I have one of those bar things too!