Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Leftover Rice Rice Pudding


Our family had take-out Chinese food the other night to celebrate Kevin's birthday and as usual we over-ordered and now have a ton of leftovers. Since I'm not eating any "white stuff" we have an abundance of rice in the fridge and I'm looking for frugal ways to use it up. A quick google search led me to this fabulous new-to-me blog called Slashfood and this tasty rice pudding! (It seems that Ms. Weston has the same problem with her Chinese take-out.) I myself won't be indulging but my kids will love it!

Leftover Rice Rice Pudding

2 cups leftover cooked white rice
3 cups milk (any kind)*
1/2 cup sugar
small pinch salt
1/2 cup raisins
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
pinch nutmeg, optional

Combine cooked rice, milk, sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer and stir in the vanilla and raisins. Cook until just about all of the milk is absorbed (30-45 minutes, depending on how absorbent your rice is). Stir in cinnamon and/or nutmeg, if using.
Divide rice pudding into individual serving dishes serve warm or chilled.
Makes 4-6 servings.

*Note: Sometimes I add an extra 1/2 cup of milk, if the rice seems unusually firm or dry, to make it creamier. Feel free to add a bit extra if the pudding is not as creamy as you like it. You can use nonfat, lowfat, whole or soy milk in this recipe.

[Recipe by Nicole Weston]

1 comment:

silverneurotic said...

My mom loves rice pudding-I think I'll try this out and surprise her one day.