Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Lovely Day for a Picnic


We are going to my Dad's company picnic today, an annual event which we've been attending for years. It's always a great time with live music, good food and free beer, what more could you ask for? Oh, and the fact that it's a gorgeous South Florida day..perfect!

Afterwards we're going to see a cute little singer/fiddle player we discovered a few months ago, Amber Leigh. She's, in Beren's words, "cute as a bug" and talented as hell! Kevin and Kali are going to join us, sure to be a good time.

Since we'll be out all day and then going out to see my friend's band tonight, I'm going to put some soup in the crockpot so that everyone can eat as their own schedule allows.

I'm tweaking this recipe, using what I have in the kitchen, will be serving it with leftover bread & salad from Beltane. I cooked the pasta separate and left it in the fridge, diners will add their own scoop or leave it out as I plan to do.

Corrigan's Minestrone

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 40 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour
Yields: 12 servings

"Hearty and filling vegetarian soup with potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, beans and pasta."

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons olive oil
5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 carrots, chopped
4 stalks celery, chopped
1 sweet onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans,drained and rinsed
1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
1 1/2 quarts water
3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
1 tablespoon salt
2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni

DIRECTIONS:

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and garlic into pot. Mix in tomato paste, beans, broth and water. Season with basil, oregano and salt. Cook and stir 30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.

2. Mix macaroni into pot. Continue cooking 10 minutes, or until macaroni is tender.

3 comments:

kim said...

She is cute and I love her turquoise fiddle!

Aisling said...

Rapunzel,

I'm glad to see you posting. I sent you an email a week or two ago, but I think I probably sent it to one of your old addies. Old habits die hard. lol! :)

Karla said...

Sounds like a wonderful time! Like Aisling, I'm so glad to see you back! I missed your posts.