Thursday, June 19, 2008

Counting Down


In less than 36 hours my little girl will become a married woman, the bride-to-be a real bride. It still boggles my mind, especially when I look back on pictures of her as a little girl such as this one. Kali was a bit of a tomboy when she was young, hated dresses and frou-frou girly things. (I clearly remember the "black basketball jersey" years..shudder...) This was one of the rare occasions when I got her in a dress, but only because it was Halloween (her favorite holiday) and she could enter a costume contest (she was rather competitive) and carry my silk wedding flowers. Sigh..she was so beautiful, and even then I had tears in my eyes as I imagined her real wedding day sometime in the distant future.

Well, that day is here, and amidst all the hustle and bustle of planning and tending to last minute details, I'm taking some time to reflect on the bride herself..the beautiful, wonderful human being that she is.



I am so proud of her for many things - her obvious beauty only a small part of it. I am in constant awe of her courage, her strength, her poise and charm, her loyalty and commitment. She is a true friend, a devoted daughter and sister, she values family above all else to the point of having the Hawaiian word for it tattooed on her body! It is these qualities that she will bring to her marriage, these qualities that will persevere and hold her marriage together during even the tough times. Kali has seen divorce up close and personal and though I'm sad for that, I also believe it gives her an honest view of marriage, the trials and tribulations as well as the comforts and joy. She is going into this union with open eyes and an open heart, and I truly believe that she and Kevin will be one of the couples who make it.



Congratulations, Kevin, I know that you realize how fortunate you are to have this amazing woman by your side tomorrow as you say those oh-so-important vows, and forevermore as your wife. I couldn't have chosen a better mate for her than you, and though tomorrow solidifies the union you are already a part of my family. I adore you both and look forward to watching you grow together in strength and love.



4 comments:

Teacats said...

Brightest blessings on your family's special day! And of course to the lovely couple! And blessings to a mum that raised a great kid -- who became a simply wonderful gal ..... just like her mum!

So we better see lots of photos -- especially of the Mom of the Bride!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Jen said...

I hope everything goes beautifully for them tomorrow!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you so much, Jan and Jen! I will be posting more pics as we progress toward the BIG MOMENT! :-)

Goldberry said...

Great tribute to your daughter. She's beautiful, by the way. Congrats to the bride and groom. Best wishes and all that good stuff!!

(don't forget your tissues)