Saturday, June 28, 2008

Dirty Girl


Remember a few months ago when I bought new fresh herbs for my garden? Well, I planted them yet due to the horrible drought and water restrictions here, it was really tough to care for my little herbs and they were sorely neglected. Some died, some were overcome with weeds, it was a mess. I was so busy with the wedding, etc. that I would occasionally glance over there, feeling guilty, and promised that I would rectify the situation...soon. Well, my lawn service took care of that for me. Apparently they got a bit carried away with the herbicide and I came home to find my entire herb garden dead along with..gulp...the gardenia bush that my Mom bought me last Mother's Day! I was heartsick and angry but realized that they truly don't know the difference between weeds and herbs, they just spray anything in sight that doesn't look like grass! I called the owner of the company and politely asked him to NEVER spray my back yard again, that Beren would tend to the weeds there when necessary.

(Hmm...I think Beren had way too much fun photographing me on my knees in the dirt!)


So, I bought new herbs and this morning before the sweltering heat set in I got to working on my little patch. I plated jalapeno peppers, red bell peppers, parsley, oregano, basil and rosemary. It's got a long way to go but looks so much better than a few days ago! I can't wait to go out there and pluck some fresh tasty seasonings for my summertime meals!


(notice my creative use of an empty beer case? Makes a great weed-holder!)



While I worked on that, my Sweetie put together my new red tables which match my Adirondack chairs purchased last year. Then we jumped into the pool to cool off...whew!!! A productive and relaxing Saturday so far here at the Castle.

3 comments:

silverneurotic said...

I hope that the new garden turns out well. I think last year my sister accidentally pulled out some of my mother's plants, thinking they were weeds.

Anonymous said...

Looks Great! Sounds like you two had a good day puttering around the house

Catherine

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Silver! I so sympathize with your mom..ugh!

Catherine! I know that you wanted to replant this garden for me when you were visiting last weekend, glad you didn't attempt it..groan...the heat was unbearable! Had to fortify myself with a nice strong screwdriver afterward. ;-) xoxoxo