Thursday, June 12, 2008

Introducing Minerva



I did some more reflecting on my post about Girlfriends and realized that though I do deeply miss those old friends and sometimes long for the past and the connections we shared, I have indeed made some new friends who have enriched my "new life" in incredible ways.

I'd like to introduce one of these friends is one whom I'll call Minerva, the Roman goddess of many things including medicine, wisdom, and the inventor of music. I met Minerva a year ago at a little coffee shop where her brother, my workmate, was playing in a band. She was there with her family and new boyfriend, and throughout the course of the evening I learned that she, too, was recently divorced and had two young children. We immediately hit it off, I felt instantly connected to her and Beren felt the same about her beau. Well, over the course of the past year we've became quite close, "double dating" at band performances, barbeques, dinners, etc. Last weekend we even stayed at Minerva's condo on the beach about an hour from the Castle. We share similar histories, a passion for music, the beach, our families and our children. She is free-spirited yet also stable and strong, calm and dependable.

We always have a fabulous time together, our communication is free-flowing and effortless. She is truly a kind, caring, wonderful person and it makes perfect sense why she has chosen the profession she is in - Nursing.

So you see, in addition to Minerva being an amazing person and good friend, she has also become an invaluable resource during my mom's illness. It was she who recommended doctors for us, helped us understand tests and subsequent lab reports. She has been there for me, in her words "at 3 am if needed" and I can't tell you how much this is appreciated. She is a source of strength and truth and I know that I can get through this horrible time just a little bit easier with her by my side. I truly believe that she and her family were sent to me and mine at a time when we needed them the most..the Universe was looking out for me when she sent this goddess into my life last year, and I am eternally grateful.

Thank you, Minerva, my dear new friend. I love you.

3 comments:

LadyTerri said...

I love my old friends too but my new ones are just as good :)

Rapunzel said...

LadyTerri, I agree..do you remember that old Girl Scout song about friends? "make new friends but keep the old, one is silver and the other gold."

Good to "see" you again. :-)

Aisling said...

Rapunzel, Your Minerva sounds like a real blessing to you at this time in your life. I'm glad you met here.

I hope your Mom is doing well.

Thanks for popping by my blog this morning. It was good to hear from you. I miss more frequent contact with you.

hugs,
Aisling