Thursday, June 26, 2008

On My Hearth: Chinese Eat-In


I'm trying to cut down on processed foods, but this new dinner kit by Wanchai Ferry happened to be on sale ($4.79 each and BOGO) at my local grocery store and the price was too good to resist. My Mom adores cashew chicken so I scooped up one of that flavor thinking it would be easy enough for Dad to prepare since he's doing all of the cooking at this point.

Since Beren loves sweet & sour chicken, I figured it would make a quick weekday meal for him. I'm going to save the Jasmine rice that's included and instead use up the leftover wedding rice, figure that after today it's going to get tossed. I also have just-cut pineapple that will add a nice fresh flavor to the meal. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Update: Both Beren and I thought this was very tasty, well worth the few bucks it cost us. Just as good as our favorite take-out, the only thing missing was the fortune cookie!

6 comments:

The Vintage Housewife... said...

hello doll thanks for swingin by my place...i love the wedding pictures...oh honey i detect a lil' vintage rockabilly inspire...oooooh this kittens cup of tea! the gals look lipstick... purrrrrrr...fect meow!^..^ i love your post on mr. roger...why can't we all be nice to others?? swing by my place soon! cat~

Julie said...

I prayed for your Mom and hope things get better for her. Just wanted to tell you how glad I am that you are back to blogging. I got the impression that you had decided to give it up for good.

Rapunzel said...

Hi, Cat, thanks for popping over to the castle!

Yep, my daughter and I are big into the vintage/retro/pin-up scene! You would have loved it! :-)

Rapunzel said...

Hi, Julie, thank you for the prayers and kind words. I did need a break from blogging but found that I missed it. Maybe it's the Leo narcissism in me, lol, but I love to share my life and read about others.' :-)

hugs to you..

Teacats said...

Have you any recipes or recommendations for cooking jasmine rice at home? My DH bought an enormous sack of this rice (this is what happens when I send out alone --- LOL!) -- and I have never cooked this kind of rice ...... just wondering!

Many thanks for any advice!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Rapunzel said...

Jan, from what I recall, the last time I made jasmine rice I did it just the same way as the regular white stuff..it turns out so much nicer, though, lighter and fluffier! Let me know how it goes!