Monday, June 30, 2008
On My Hearth: Spinach and Bean Casserole
Today is Meatless Monday; I have exactly 1 cup of black-eyed peas languishing in my pantry, and have been itching to use my neglected pressure cooker so this recipe is just perfect! I'll have to stop at the market for fresh spinach but otherwise I have everything else on hand.
Spinach and Bean Casserole
Submitted by: Venia
Rated: 4 out of 5 by 15 members Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 45 Minutes Ready In: 50 Minutes
Yields: 4 servings
"Try this recipe for a change of pace. Black-eyed peas are cooked in a pressure cooker then combined with onion, spinach, tomatoes and fennel."
1 cup dry black-eyed peas
1/4 cup olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cups fresh spinach
1 (28 ounce) can peeled and diced tomatoes
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fennel seed, ground
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. Cook black-eye peas in a pressure cooker for 12 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Saute onion with spinach, tomatoes, salt and fennel for 15 minutes.
4. Combine beans with spinach mixture in a 2 quart casserole dish.
5. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.