Friday, June 27, 2008

Rapunzel Shops for a Wig

My Mom starts chemo on Monday. Needless to say we're anxious, not knowing how she'll respond to the treatment but the doctors assure us that nowadays the side affects are minimal and can be controlled with meds. So, we're hopeful that it'll go smoothly and with minimal distress to her.

With that in mind, we have started preparing for the inevitable hair loss that will result. Now, let me say that in the vanity department my Mom ranks pretty high up there - she is never seen without her nails & toes perfectly manicured, hair just so, make-up on, and we won't even talk about her wardrobe! So, like most women, I imagine she's probably going to take this balding thing pretty hard. And, honestly, it's going to be pretty rough on me as well. I mean, you all know how attached I am to hair!

Anyway, we are determined to make the best of it so we started joking about what color Mom would like to be - has she always fantasized about being big & blonde like Dolly? (we're just talking about her hair here)



Or perhaps Lucy's siren red?



Or, ooh, my favorite, dark & sexy Cher-like locks?



Alas, Mom would like to stick with her own style, at least for now. *wink* Perhaps Dad will convince her otherwise?

That decision made, I then thought Mom might also like some other headcoverings for when she is relaxing at home and doesn't feel like dealing with an actual wig. A quick google search led me to this fabulous site which appears to cater to cancer patients. I went ahead and ordered her two turbans and a sleep cap, hopefully they'll work out well.

My question to you all is: If you've had experience with cancer/chemo, what can we expect? The unknown is simply terrifying...is there a website or support group you'd recommend? I know that I'm going to need some help getting through this and don't even know where to start.

Thanks so much.


9 comments:

Teacats said...

Sending along hugs! Well -- I'd start with checking with your local cancer societies to see about support groups and information. Have you checked WebMD for information? Just a thought .....

Heather @ SGF said...

Sorry. I don't have any experience in that arena, but wanted you to know I'd be thinking of you and your family. I hope chemo goes well and she stays healthy. Good vibes coming your way...

Anonymous said...

If you are in the Miami area, try contacting Bosombuddies, a cancer support group that meets at Baptist hospital monthly.truly nice folks there.Sorry I no longer have there contact info-its been 9cancer free years for me (yay).
Good idea on getting a head start on the wig thing.I did the same and got my wig from a fabulous man that used to have a shop in Sunniland.He sold me my wig and then shaved my head the second my hair started falling out.It seemed much easier to take control that way rather than to suffer with having hair falling out a little or a LOT at a time.
Oh and scarves!get mom some scarves , a great way to cover up and let the air flow around your head.
also get mom some antinausea drugs before she needs them.
and most important keep a positive attitude.It makes all the difference in the world.

Anonymous said...

Hi again, Anon from the last post.
I meant to also tell you to check into "the wellness center" in the shopping center near DSW shoes on US1 close to Dadeland.
I haven't been there but it has gotten lots of good reviews as a place to relax,get support and learn.worth checking out.

Rapunzel said...

Heather, thanks so much for stopping by the castle and for your kind words.

Rapunzel said...

"Anonymous," wonderful news about being cancer free!! It is great for me to hear success stories right now. And thank you so much for the recommendations, I will check out the organizations you suggested and keep you all posted.

Also, thank you for stopping by the castle, hope to "see" you again soon!

YorkshireSop said...

Hi, Rapunzel, I'm afraid I'm a lurker, but since I've dealt with three successfully treated cases of cancer in my family, I thought I'd send a quick note. Anonymouse is so right about the hair. It's much easier to deal with, if you shave it off at the first sign of loss. Don't just go for scarves etc, buy some FAB dangly earrings. Chemo is generally much easier to deal with than it was 20 years ago, but if your mum gets seasick or travelsick anyway, she's more likely to get nauseous, so ask for the anti nausea drugs before you need them. Now, onto you. You will need to be VERY strong. Your father may well feel that his little world is collapsing and that he doesn't know how to deal with things. Your mother will probably, as the patient, and as a woman, be much stronger than him. You, however, must try to find some time for yourself. However desperate you may be to make sure that everyone is coping well and however much you are integral to that process, please remember that you cannot run on empty. I know this, because on every occasion of cancer in my family, I ended up running on empty and then, just as things were sorting themselves out for 'the patient', I ended up getting ill and going to hospital myself. I'm sorry if this post is long-winded, or intrusive, but if you need to let off steam in the direction of someone who's been there, got the t-shirt and put it through the wash several times, I'm here, sending you lots of good thoughts...

Rapunzel said...

Dear YorkshireSop, thank you so much for coming out of "lurkdom," and no need to apologize for anything! I am open to and appreciative of all thoughts, opinions, advice, etc., as this is unchartered territory for me.

I tried to view your blog but it appears to be set private; is there an email addy I can reach you at?

Thank you!!

YorkshireSop said...

Just sent you an email. Y/S