Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Tropical Cuteness

I've decided to take another day off from work, am going to putter around the castle for a bit but when my fabulous cleaning lady Josee arrives I'll have to hightail it outta here lest she invite me to scrub the floors with her. *shudder* At that point I will probably run some errands including another trip to Target (do you all pronounce that store's name with a French accent like I do? I thought so, makes it much more elegant and fun, don't you think?) to return the closet organizing items I didn't need.

After that I was going to take my Mom "junkin'"as was our Wednesday morning habit years ago when I was married and worked from home. You see, Wednesdays was 50% off Senior Citizen Day at our favorite thrift store so Mom would meet me there, we'd wander around the store searching for treasures, load up our cars and then celebrate our good fortune and good buys with breakfast at Denny's next door.

Well, Mom has some extensive testing this afternoon and wants to conserve her energy so she declined my offer for a morning of junkin'. That's ok, she promised me a rain check once she starts feeling better and I fully intend to hold her to that. In the meantime, I'll share my slightly-less-thrifty but still fun finds from yesterday:



If you have been reading my blog for a bit, you'll know that Kali's wedding theme was "vintage Florida." She and Kevin looooove all things tropical and her favorite flower is the hibiscus. So, yesterday when I saw these adorable melamie dinner plates and accessories on clearance at Target I had to scoop them up! I purchased the large serving bowl, some plates and some glasses (not shown), two hand towels, 6 wash cloths and two kitchen towels, all with hibiscus flowers on them! Aren't they precious?! I just love that happy little monkey! I plan to wrap them up and have them waiting when they return from their honeymoon, a nice little "welcome home" gift for the bride and groom.

The cost: $2.08 each for the kitchen & hand towels, $1.04 for each salad plate, $5.58 for the washcloths and $5.58 for the serving bowl. While not thrift store prices that's still not a big expenditure for something that I know will put a big ol' smile on her face as it did on mine!

P.S. I took this pic with my new herbs as a background, promise I'll post more on that later..

2 comments:

Teacats said...

GREAT finds -- and what a marvellous "welcome home" present for the new bride and groom! Good shopping!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Jan! I thought the monkey was so cute and whimsical. :-)