Friday, July 25, 2008

Cocktails at the Castle


At the risk of sounding like I have a drinking problem, (hiccup!) I long for the days when couples had regular a "cocktail hour" at the end of their day. What a lovely way to segue from work to home. And, ooh, don't even get me started on formal cocktail parties! *swoon* So glamorous!

Tonight I'm going to slip on a LBD and my favorite high heels (see below), dab some Chanel No 5 behind my ears and pretend that I'm a 1950's housewife. Beren will put on some lounge music and I'll shake up these sexy little drinks for us. Oh, honey, I can barely wait until 5 pm!

P.S. This recipe comes from a book Kali bought me a few years ago, Highballs High Heels;what does that say about me that my teenage daughter bought me a drinking book? Hmm.....

P.S.S. I dedicate this drink to my friend Steph who loves shoes just about as much as I do!



Stiletto Cocktail

So, you think a woman's drink is some froufrou frappe sweet enough to melt your molars? Well, sure if you're talking about Gidget bar-hopping in Honolulu. But this classic 50's combo is for another kind of gal altogether; elusive, magnetic, a no-nonsense woman who invites her guest inside for a late-night bourbon and razor-sharp repartee. You won't need to pop a film noir video in the VCR for atmosphere - you're it, baby! Power, culture, femininity, and a hint of danger - all in one glass. Just remember, when you walk across his chest with those spike heels, show no mercy.

1 1/2 cups cracked ice
6 ounces Amaretto
3 ounces good Kentucky bourbon
2 ounces fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons sugar syrup
10 or 12 ice cubes

Garnish:
2 lemon peels

Fill a cocktail shaker with the cracked ice and add the Amaretto, bourbon, lemon juice, and sugar syrup. Shake vigorously to blend and chill.

Divide the ice cubes between two old-fashioned glasses. Strain half the mixture into each glass. Rub the peel around the rim of the glass, then drop it into the drink to serve. Serves 2



Pssst...update...cocktail hour was fabulous! Kali joined us for a bit, we all looooved the stiletto cocktail, will definitely be making this one again. Lots of fun, a perfect start to the weekend!

16 comments:

YorkshireSop said...

That is SO my kind of cocktail!! Maybe I'll have to forego Pimms on the lawn after all!

Rapunzel said...

Dear Yorkshire friend, you are welcome to the castle anytime! Just bring your own killer stilettos and head on over! oxoxox

Robbin with 2 B's! said...

Sounds like lots of fun, and those shoes, ooh la la! Thanks for making me smile and try and be a good girl now.

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy and fun... what did you say about drinks? ....Beren

Rapunzel said...

Robbin, I so wish you were here to join us! We'd have a grand ol' time. Don't you dare be a good girl, and neither will I! Bad girls have so much more fun. *wink*

Rapunzel said...

Gasp! Oh, my goodness! My very own Beren posted a comment! And for the first time! Whoo-hoo!

Oh, don't you worry, honey, you will be having a yummy good time tonight..and the drinks are only the half of it!

xoxoxoxo

C.J. Redwine said...

A Stiletto Cocktail?? Where have you been all my life? ;)

linda said...

my goodness(blush blush) I feel like I fell into some kind of voyeur-ish sort of thing! now let me just settle down comfy and watch a spell...

:D

kim said...

Oh, I know! And the days when peole wore NICE clothes to the movies, men still wore hats, women too, and gloves! *sigh*

Rapunzel said...

C.J., I knew you'd love the name of those cocktails! *wink*

Rapunzel said...

Linda, LOL! We can be wildly romantic at times..sigh...

Rapunzel said...

Kim, and people dressed up to fly! Now I see girls in sweatpants boarding the plane. *shudder*

Teacats said...

Hey -- my kind of party! Just stepped in from that kind of evening next door -- wine, cheese, nibbles and witty, sinful comments about everyday life! LOL! Its Friday night in the suburbs! Hot Hot Hot weekend here in Dallas -- looking at 104 degrees on Sunday! Time to melt into a Harvey Wallbanger (another cocktail blast from the Past!)

Jan at rosemary cottage ((slinking in after a wicked night ..... LOL!))

Melissa said...

what a fun stay at home date night! I'll have to institute that around here - and the drink recipe looks marvelous!

Rapunzel said...

Jan, your evening does sound wickedly fun, good for you! ;-)

Rapunzel said...

Melissa, the drink was tasty and we did have a lot of fun! Definitely give it a try. :-)