Thursday, July 3, 2008

Mom

Just a quick note to let you all know that my Mom was hospitalized yesterday. When I went to take her for chemo in the morning, the nurse noticed some symptoms unrelated to the chemo which concerned her. Once the treatment was completed we took her to the ER where they did a bunch of bloodwork and scans and determined that it would be best for her to spend a day or two in the hospital. Her white blood cells are elevated indicating an infection and her breathing even more labored than usual, and she was dehydrated. So they are giving IV fluids and antibiotics, breathing treatments, etc.

So right now we are just watching and waiting. As hard as it is for all of us for her to be there, I truly feel it's the best place for her right now. I think she needs a couple of days to stabilize and and be monitored. After this, Dad and I are going to need to chat about getting some help, she simply can't be alone at home anymore, not even for brief periods of time, she is too weak and frail.

So, yeah, it's 3:30 am and here I sit, unable to sleep, worried and anxious...hoping for the best but terrified of the worst. Please continue to send thoughts, energy, prayers..thank you.

10 comments:

Heather said...

I wish I had the right words that would offer the comfort you need. I'm sorry your mom is so very sick, I hope she is home soon.

Rapunzel said...

Thank you very much, Heather.

Aisling said...

I will keep praying for your Mom. I know they will take good care of her in the hospital. You take care of yourself too, please.

hugs,
Aisling

Susan said...

Hey, M ~

Please know that Phyllis continues in my thoughts and prayers - it's okay to be afraid at 3 a.m., because I have no doubt you're staying strong when you need to be. Much love to you and yours - please do keep me posted (I care... <3)

Julie said...

You sweet girl... I hate to hear this and I remember the look in my Mother's eyes when we told her she could not go home when she wanted to...but you being there for your Mom shows what an amazing person you are. You will never regret it - no matter how hard it is on you right now. It is hard to explain..I hope you understand what I am trying to say though..

Teacats said...

Dearest -- I am so sorry to hear about your mum. Hopefully a few days in the hospital might help to ease the multiple problems ..... take care -- and know that you are never alone -- even sitting at your computer during those long night-time hours.

Best and brightest hopes and wishes, Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Rapunzel said...

Thanks so much to all of you for your continued thoughts and prayers, I really can *feel* the positive energy...

big hugs..

Jen said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Hang in there.

Robbin with 2 B's! said...

I popped over from Aisling's to let you know I am praying too for your mother. I hope she can gain strength in the hospital and then can continue her battle. I know how scary it is. I went back and caught up a little and saw her picture and she is just beautiful. Adding more prayers and good vibrations to all those you have already and hoping you'll remember to take care of yourself too.

Heather @ SGF said...

I'll be thinking of your mom and sending lots of good vibes your way. I hope she's able to come home soon!