Monday, July 7, 2008

On My Hearth: Lemon Basil Shrimp and Pasta

I'm not sure how much cooking I'm going to do this week, things are so crazy at my house right now with visiting Mom and the fact that I'm going to be out of town tomorrow night. Beren is going on a little business trip just an hour north of home so I'm tagging along. I am looking forward to the rest even if it is just one night away. So..I'm going to post a tentative menu plan just for a few days and see how that goes. I am going to once-again take advantage of my slow cooker.

Monday - Lemon Basil Shrimp and Pasta
Tuesday - Take-Out Pizza for Kids, out to dinner for me & Beren!
Wednesday - Spicy Black Bean Chili
Thursday - Slow Cooker Stir Fry Lo Mein
Friday - Leftovers


Lemon Basil Shrimp and Pasta

A zesty one-pot pasta dish is complete after tossing with capers, basil, olive oil, and lemon juice. Serve with focaccia or crusty baguette.


3 quarts water
8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
1 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
3 tablespoons drained capers
2 tablespoons extravirgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups baby spinach

Bring 3 quarts water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Add pasta; cook 8 minutes. Add shrimp to pan; cook 3 minutes or until shrimp are done and pasta is al dente. Drain. Place pasta mixture in a large bowl. Stir in basil and next 4 ingredients (through salt). Place 1/2 cup spinach on each of 4 plates; top each serving with 1 1/2 cups pasta mixture.

Yield: 4 servings

CALORIES 397 (22% from fat); FAT 9.6g (sat 1.5g,mono 5.3g,poly 1.8g); IRON 5.4mg; CHOLESTEROL 172mg; CALCIUM 88mg; CARBOHYDRATE 44.9g; SODIUM 666mg; PROTEIN 31g; FIBER 2.4g

Cooking Light, APRIL 2007

1 comment:

Teacats said...

Brillant plan! and thanks for the recipe -- we really need a change from all of the meat-heavy (but delicious!) food over the weekend!

Thanks and enjoy your night out-and-about!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage