Saturday, July 12, 2008

On My Hearth: Peanut Butter Fudge Bars

I woke up to a bit of a mess this morning, little Jackson on my bedroom floor looking up at me quietly, totally out of character, not his usual bouncy kitten self. I immediately woke Lily and had her take him to the vet, just knew something wasn't right, and the pile of vomit (sorry!) in her room confirmed my suspicions. He's at the vet now, they believe he swallowed "something" and it's stuck in his bowels. They gave him a laxative and are waiting for it to do it's job. Poor little baby! And all of this just after I posted this morning about my critters..

On the heels of that I got a call from Dad informing me that my aunt is arriving from Ohio on Monday. While this is good news, it's important that she spends some time with my mother, it requires planning and preparation which increases my stress level big time. Sigh.

So, what do I do when I'm overwhelmed and anxious? I retreat to the kitchen.

I have all of the ingredients on hand for these bars so they'll be a cinch to whip up, and hopefully some baking will work it's magic on this stressed-out kitchen witch.



Peanut Butter Fudge Bars

Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Ready In: 40 Minutes
Yields: 30 servings

"Peggy Murray of Enfield, Maine relies on a cake mix and other pantry staples to make these rich crumb-topped treats."

INGREDIENTS:
1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a bowl, combine cake mix, peanut butter, egg and oil. Press two-thirds of the mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.

2. In a heavy saucepan, heat the milk, chocolate chips and butter over low heat; stir until blended. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

10 comments:

Susan said...

Hey, M ~

Just checking in - wonderful news that your mom is out of the hospital and your aunt is coming to help caretake!

Still sending love and light from my home to yours - I'm proud of you for making time to "stop and smell the rosemary"... :-)

I think I gained a pound just *reading* your peanut butter fudge bar recipe - an extra lap of walking for me tonight!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Susan. I'm trying to keep a balance, easier on some days than others of course. xoxoxo

Patty said...

those sound yummy ! They contain no calories right : ) I am once again on a diet

Our Red House said...

Oh, they look totally delicious. When I get to my new house I'm definitely going to make some. My kids will *love* them.

Kate

Rapunzel said...

Patty, nope, no calories at all. ;-)
I, too, have to get serious and lose the x-amount of calories I gained over the wedding weeks! Yikes!

Rapunzel said...

Kate, thank you for visiting the castle! So nice of you to stop by. :-)

The bars were very rich..mmm..of course I only ate a tiny little square. ;-)

LadyTerri said...

The fudge bars sound yummy!

Lady Laurie said...

I just came across your blog and it is so enchanting! The peanut butter bars sound so yummy, I will have to try these soon as I have teenage boys that love anything chocolate and peanut butter.

Rapunzel said...

Lady Terri, so good to "see" you! I have missed you!

Rapunzel said...

Lady Laurie, thank you so much for visiting me here at The Castle! I hope your boys enjoy the goodies as much as my girls did. :-)