Tuesday, July 1, 2008
On My Hearth: Ratatouille with Pasta
No, I'm not cooking up that rat, lol, but since my Mom absolutely loves the Ratatouille movie I'm going to bring it over to her house this afternoon with a bowl of this. I honestly don't think she'll love the Ratatouille itself, will probably serve her the pasta with some plain sauce, but it's the thought that counts, right? And isn't laughter the best medicine?
Ratatouille with Pasta
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 8 hours
1 medium onion, chopped
3 tsp chopped garlic (3 cloves)
1 medium eggplant (1 1/2 lb)
3 medium zucchini (1 1/2 lb)
2 bell peppers
6 plum tomatoes
1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
1 Tbsp each chopped fresh oregano and thyme (or 1 tsp each dried)
1/2 tsp salt and pepper
2 Tbsp each red wine vinegar and extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb rigatoni pasta
1. Place onion and garlic in a 6-qt slow-cooker.
2. Cut eggplant, zucchini, peppers and tomatoes into 1-in. chunks; toss in large bowl with tomato sauce, herbs, salt and pepper. Add to slow-cooker.
3. Cook on low 5 to 8 hours until vegetables are tender. Stir in vinegar and oil.
4. Remove 3 cups ratatouille; save for Pan Bagna recipe. (Ratatouille can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.)
5. Cook rigatoni as box directs; toss with ratatouille. Serve with Parmesan.