Wednesday, July 23, 2008

On My Hearth: Veggie Brown Rice Wraps


Because we ended up having take-out pizza with the family last night, I'll make these tonight instead.

Also, I just want to show off the lovely Hearth banner that my amazingly talented daughter Kali designed for me! What do you all think?!

Veggie Brown Rice Wraps

Submitted by: Lisa Sullivan
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes Ready In: 20 Minutes
Yields: 6 servings

"Salsa gives a bit of zip to the brown rice and bean filling in the meatless tortilla wraps Lisa Sullivan shares from St. Marys, Ohio."

INGREDIENTS:
1 medium red or green bell pepper, diced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 (8 inch) flour tortillas, warmed
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat
Cheddar cheese
3/4 cup salsa

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute the red pepper, mushrooms and garlic in oil until tender. Add the rice, beans, corn, green onions, cumin, pepper and salt. Cook and stir for 4-6 minutes or until heated through.
2. Spoon 3/4 cup onto each tortilla. Sprinkle with cheese; drizzle with salsa. Fold sides of tortilla over filling; serve immediately.

4 comments:

Robbin with 2 B's! said...

I'm thinking Kali is very talented, I love the banner and I'm also thinking I'd like to try one of those rice wraps. I'm saving the recipe for when I feel like cooking. I hope for you a wonderful day and know your mother is in my prayers always.

Rapunzel said...

Robbin, thank you so much! :-)

kim said...

Great banner!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Kim! I love it. :-)