Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Birthday Girl ~ Part 1


It's barely 5 am, I've been awake for over an hour now. So many things are running through my mind on this, my 44th birthday. I always consider this my "new year" instead of the traditional 1st of January, so I tend to do a lot of soul searching and pondering about my life.

Right now I'm wondering if my mom will even remember what today is. She's so distracted and forgetful, doctors say that's a result of the medication she's on. Without her to remind him, will my dad forget as well? I mean, of course I understand, they have bigger things going on right now, but still...the little girl in me still wants a birthday greeting from her Mommy.

I'm also thinking about changes I want to make in the coming year and of course I'll be sharing/boring those with you all here. *grin*

First up, I want & need to reconnect with the creative/crafty/artsy part of me that's been on the back burner for several years now. Before my divorce, when I worked from home, I spent quite a bit of time crafting and found it very rewarding and therapeutic. I crocheted, made soap and bath salts, dabbled in decoupage and paper crafts, etc. etc. Somehow over the years I've put aside that hobby, seems there was no time for it. But I miss it, I need to get those creative juices flowing again and reconnect to that part of myself. So, Beren and I had a discussion and made a decision to help get the ball rolling.

As much as I hate to admit it, Beren's girls are spending less and less time with us. They are young teenagers and therefore very involved in friends activities in their hometown which is over an hour north of us. As a result, we are often swapping weekends or shortening them in order to accommodate their social activities. Their time here has been narrowed down to approximately one night every two weeks, far from the 4-5 nights they used to spend here. We balked at first but honestly there's nothing we can do about it, it's a normal progression. So, here we sit, with this beautiful empty bedroom that we decorated for them; they don't even use the closet or drawers anymore, just bring what they need for the weekend and pack it all up again when they leave. It seems a waste of space, frankly, and after talking it over with Beren he suggested that I make some changes, utilize that area in a more productive way.

What I decided to do, for now, is to leave their beds and decorations exactly as they are but "claim" an area of the room for myself. So I ventured into the corner of my laundry room which stores my long-neglected craft supplies and started cleaning. I can't believe I am sharing this with you all but, here goes. This is what it looked like before:



I told you it was a mess! Now, in my defense, I do have other artists in the family who are happy to tear through my supplies and leave the area in complete disarray, but I digress..

And this is what it looks like now, about halfway done. I moved their dresser into the closet, sorted out the supplies and labeled the drawers. The tv and dvd player will be relocated to the corner, hanging from the wall, giving me the top of the dresser to use as well. I covered the old desk with bright sunflower contact paper to make it more cheerful, figure that they can also make use of it for homework, etc. when they are here.




It's still a work in progress but I'm off to a really good start! I can't wait to sit down and start a new project; that just might require a birthday trip to the craft store..hmm....wink...

Also, I'm going to get serious about my fitness plan, need to get this body back into shape so that it'll be gorgeous and healthy for many years to come! I re-opened my other blog, In Pursuit of My Inner Pin-Up, where I'll be writing more in detail about such things, so keep an eye out for that in the near future.

The sun is up, time to get dressed and off to work. I'm meeting Kali for lunch, am really looking forward to that, will post more later!

Hugs,

the Birthday Girl!

18 comments:

Aisling said...

Rapunzel, Happy Birthday, dear friend! I like the sound of how you're approaching this new year. I can't wait to see what comes out of your craft corner. I've been feeling sort of the same way, and over several early mornings (when the house was quiet) I knitted a dish cloth from a pattern I found online. It was the first thing I've knitted in years!

I've also started a journal of sorts with collage elements, also some sketching and writing with a focus on decorating plans for my house in upcoming years. Sort of a "dream house" journal. It helps me plan and organize, but also gives me a creative outlet.

Anyway, again, happy birthday! Celebrate the day!

love and hugs,
Aisling

Heather @ SGF said...

Happy Birthday! A great day for reflection and the beginnings of new things. Wishing you a wonderful year to come!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to You-oooh
Happy Birthday to You
Happy Birthday dear M
Happy Birthday to YOUUUUUUU

Operation Take Back Your Craft Room looks good so far!

c

Robbin with 2 B's! said...

"Happy Birthday to you"!
I like all your plans and wish you luck with them. I bet you'll hear from your Mom, I hope you do.
And I hope you have a wonderful day. I hope you get those creative juices flowing.
You are so beautiful anyway, but yes, take care of your body so that you'll be healthy for many years to come.
Thanks for your support for me, you can't know how much it helps me and means to me.
Now, GO celebrate the day and know I walk hand in hand with you dealing with that ugly C word.
I know it is hard for my Mother and Son, worse than for me really.
Happy Birthday you sweet and pretty girl!

The Vintage Housewife... said...

HELLO SASSY KITTEN...OOOOOH HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!! YOU GO AND HAVE A ROCKEN' TIME..PUT ASIDE ALL THE THINGS THAT TROUBLE...AND HONEY...LET YOUR HAIR DOWN DOLL...HEY SLAP ON THAT RED RED LIPSTICK AND OOOOH HONEY HAVE A PARTY...BLESSINGS CAT~

Susan said...

Hey, M ~

Happy Birthday, my dear sister Leo friend - I remember 44 (10 years ago... :-)

Glad you received my e-card sent earlier today - sounds as if your day is off to a wonderful start!

The nut doesn't fall far from the tree (meaning your mom is crafty, in that good kinda way, and you've certainly passed it on to your girls) - can't wait to see what creativity comes out of that corner of your life (gotta love a good metaphor... <3 )

Much love always - ready for our co-celebration next week?!?

kim said...

Happy Birthday!!!!

Mari said...

Hey you!!! I tried to leave a comment for you the other day when I linked from ozwoman's blog...but I am still a little behind the times in all this technology.

So yes, it's ozwoman's little sis who had the privilege of living less than 3.5 miles from you guys when I was there in '92 to '98.

It must be kismet that I am able to post on your BIRTHDAY and I must say that I am SO impressed by both of your blogs. And let me tell you - you have both encouraged me to do the same - private for now b/c I have a lot of meow meow to get out of me...but looking to have a public one shortly.

Anyhoo...you were always a wonderful woman and I can tell that you and your family are doing SO WELL and things are amazing.

FYI - I have very much enjoyed perusing your recipes and made your Sizzling Citrus Shrimp last night along with the Parmesan White Beans - but alas - was out of white beans so went for diced potatoes in it - not quite the same, but not terrible.

Hello to the family and hope to see you next time I'm in your neck of the woods!!!!

Hugs from S's lil' sis!

Mari

Deb said...

A very happy birthday to you! And you are doing a great job taking care of you - reflecting on what YOU need - it is YOUR time - make the most of it! Have fun, laugh, party, craft, exercise, love - all this and more - the world is yours - CELEBRATE!

Rapunzel said...

Aisling, thank you so much!

I would love to see pics of your journal, it sounds fascinating!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you so much, Heather!

Rapunzel said...

My dear "anonymous" friend C, thank you for being there - in cyberspace, via Ma Bell, and in real life. Always. You are the BEST.

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Robbin! Your new friendship has really meant so much to me, I'm constantly amazed and inspired by you. I look forward to many more years of knowing you!

Rapunzel said...

Thank you, Cat! You'll see a little vintage diva pic in the part 2 of my birthday posts, LOL. I was thinking of you when the pics was taken, my glamour girlfriend!

Rapunzel said...

Susan, thank you, my dear friend. We have "shared" quite a few birthdays, haven't we? I've lost track but I'm thinking 12 now? *shaking head* Hard to believe.

I am so looking forward to our shared birthday celebration! I'll be emailing you soon so that we can make that date.

Rapunzel said...

Thank you so much, Kim!

Rapunzel said...

Mari! So good to "see" you here! What a lovely birthday surprise indeed. :-) Ozwoman keeps me updated on your family & life but it's been oh-so-long since we had a face to face. Let's rectify that, ok?

I can't wait to read your blog, please do share the link with me when you are ready to go public..not that I mind a bit of Meow Meow here and there. *wink*

Rapunzel said...

Deb, thanks so much. I am really looking forward to the coming year; despite the certain trials & tribulations I think it's going to be a good one. :-)