Saturday, September 20, 2008
On My Hearth: Slo-Mo Saturday
Beren and I have a busy day planned, errands and castlekeeping and visiting Mom. I'm going to do the prep work for this and put it in the slowcooker on low, don't want the seafood to overcook. I'll be stopping by my favorite French bakery for a nice baguette to accompany this soup, can't wait for dinnertime!
Tomato Seafood Soup
From Simple & Delicious
CATEGORY: Lower Fat
METHOD: Stovetop - One-Dish
TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
* 1/2 cup chopped onion
* 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
* 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
* 1 jar (14 ounces) spaghetti sauce
* 1 cup salsa
* 3/4 cup chicken broth
* 1/2 cup white wine or additional chicken broth
* 3 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1 package (12 ounces) frozen uncooked shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
* 1 package (8 ounces) imitation crabmeat, chopped or 2 cans (6 ounces each) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
* 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) minced clams, undrained
In a Dutch oven, saute the onion, green pepper and garlic in oil until onion is tender. Stir in the tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, salsa, broth, wine or additional broth and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the shrimp, crab and clams. Cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).