Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Do You Believe in Miracles?


My mother called me at 8:30 Sunday morning. For the first time in over 5 months. Since before the cancer diagnosis, since before she became ill. With tears in her voice, she explained to me that she woke up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat, and it was as if a light bulb went off. She woke up my dad and, crying, asked him where she'd been, when was the last time she has seen her daughter and grandchilddren...she couldn't remember anything, it was as if she had checked out of her life. She was shocked, angry, and ashamed of herself. Ashamed? Yes, ashamed she said, that she had let this happen, that she had spent months on the couch, disconnected from everything and everyone. It wasn't the illness she felt badly about, it was her reaction to it. I sat there listening, stunned, assuring her that it wasn't her fault, that it was ok...tears streaming down my face, not believing it was my mom on the phone, the mom who we all knew and loved, not the shell of a woman she'd been for so long. Over the past few days I've watched the transformation, incredulous and afraid to believe what is happening. She's animated, she's humorous, she's bright and cheerful, she's ALIVE! She's been a whirlwind, apparently making up for lost time, to the point where Dad had to step in and gently ask her to slow down, not overdo. She reconnected with her friends, made plans to get her nails done, got back on her computer and caught up with the hundreds of emails in her box, paid all of the bills, did her make-up, ordered some new scarfs...the list goes on & on! Most importantly: she is now determined to stop smoking. She filled the prescription for cessation medicine and will begin taking it this weekend.

My family and I are stunned yet grateful beyond belief. We have no idea why this has happened, even the nurses who did her lab work yesterday were amazed. We have an appointment with the oncologist on Monday, maybe he'll be able to give us some insight but you know what? I don't care the reason. I am just thrilled to have my Mom back, I had truly feared I'd lost her. No matter what the test results are, I know that we can fight this now because finally the most important person is on board her own recovery.

Thank you, to whomever...God, Goddess, Buddha, positive energy, good thoughts...whatever transpired to allow this miracle to take place, Thank you. So very much.

10 comments:

Robbin with 2 B's! said...

I do believe in miracles and I'm so glad you've heard from her and I cried when I read this. You are in my thoughts and prayers, (I pray to all those you mentioned).

Teacats said...

Magic and miracles -- the deepest form of faith. "Inspiration" -- the very word itself (and its Latin origin) comes when the Light literally breathes into your ear! A wonderful day -- time to be thankful and to celebrate!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

Helena S. said...

Sounds amazing, I'm so happy for you and your mother! I'm a fairly spiritual person myself so yes, I do believe in miracles. What a wonderful, inspiring picture you've found. :-)

Rapunzel said...

Thank you all so very much! I am holding my breath, afraid to hope, but I can't help it. :-) This feels like such a good sign to me!!

miss vintage love said...

That is so beautiful, I love hearing things like this!
xoxo

Deb said...

I do believe in miracles. I might not fully understand them but I do believe. I am so happy for you and your entire family. I also believe in the power of prayer and positive energy/attitude. All of these things make a difference. Celebrate!

Susan said...

Hey, M ~

Fabulous news! - please give Phyllis my love... and I also send up my thoughts/prayers/purple candles for her continued positive energy and renewed zest for life... <3

Jen said...

How wonderful! Hoping for more good news from the oncologist.

Aisling said...

Rapunzel, What a wonderful celebration of love for your Mom this post is. I'm so glad to read it this morning, when my days are so busy it is hard to slow down and appreciate the people in my life. You remind me to slow down anyway. It is always, always the people who matter... not the "stuff" ... not the "things to do."

I'll keep praying for your Mom, but this is just wonderful news.

Lesley said...

Fabulous news, Rapunzel! Blessings to you and your family. x