Saturday, September 6, 2008

New Toys!

Last week Beren and I picked up some kitchen goodies from the thrift store - needed items that I'd been putting off buying new.

Somehow I lost one of my muffin/cupcake tins and had only one, was so happy to find one in really shape and promptly whipped up a batch of banana nut muffins!



This little bowl was too cute to pass up, and even though oatmeal doesn't count as "potage," it was the perfect size for my morning meal!



I also found a tube pan and made an angel food cake for last Sunday's bbq, the first time I'd attempted one. Sorry, no pics, it got gobbled up before I could take a shot!



Kali added to my kitchen gadgetry as well, giving me one of her wedding gifts she didn't have space for. Even though it is large and cumbersome, I loved being able to steam a whole head of cauliflower and a pound of green beans all at once and not worry about overcooking. They came out crisp and perfect!



Today I'm going to use the new Crockpot Beren bought me a couple months ago, am throwing together a batch of veggie soup to clean out my vegetable drawer. I'm not sure what Hurricane Ike is doing but if we lose power I'll have a better chance of salvaging cooked foods as opposed to raw.

4 comments:

Deb said...

I couldn't believe it when I saw your steamer - my mom has one just like it and I love it! I have been searching all over for one. It seems like such a healthy way to cook. The rain from Hanna has reached us up here in New England. I pray that the other hurricanes ignore all of you - including my elderly parents who live on the west coast of Florida - I will breath a sigh of relief when hurricane season is over. When cold weather hits us up here I make lots of chili - and I am going to try that corn muffin recipe! Thanks for sharing. Stay dry and safe!

Deb said...

Good Morning! I couldn't believe it when I saw the steamer on your post. I have wanted one ever since I used my mom's the last time I went to visit her. It is on my wish list! The next time I make chili I am going to make those corn muffins - my family loves it when I add jalapenos and cheese to the muffins. We were hit hard up here in New England with the rain from Hurricane Hanna. I will pray that the hurricanes steer away from you over the upcoming weeks. My parents live in western Florida - and they are very stressed as they sit glued in front of the weather channel. Keep dry and be safe!

Rapunzel said...

Deb, the steamer really is cool, so easy to use!

I hope your weather turns around soon, not fair that you get the summer and winter storms!

Jen said...

Cool steamer!

I love my crock pot. I should use it more often, it makes cooking so simple.