Friday, September 26, 2008

On My Hearth: Comfort Food


I was planning to make this tomorrow but woke up in the mood for some comfort food (thanks, Moontime) so just put it in my crockpot this morning. After reading the reviews on Allrecipes, I made a few changes to the original recipe which I've posted below. I was able to cut calories and fat with a few simple adjustments, next time I'll take it one more step by using reduced-fat biscuits.

Also, I'm going to start posting my recipes in Mastercook format; I have been using this program for years but lately have forgotten about it so I'm making a concerted effort to back into the habit. Since many cooks collect recipes in this format, I hope it helps you to import your favorites into your own program more easily! Enjoy!


* Exported from MasterCook *

Slow-Cooker Chicken & Dumplings

Recipe By : Janiece Mason
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Chicken Slow Cooker

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 3/4 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons smart Balance Spread
21 1/2 ounces Cream of Chicken Soup Healthy Request
1 onion -- finely diced
14 1/2 ounces canned mixed vegetables
1 cup chicken broth light & Fat Free
16 1/3 ounces Pillsbury Grands buttermilk biscuit -- torn into pieces

Season chicken breasts with your choice of spices; I used salt, pepper and a bit of celery seed. Place the chicken, butter, soup, mixed vegetables and onion in a slow cooker, cover with chicken broth.

Cover and cook for 5 to 6 hours on High. About 30 minutes before serving, shred chicken and place the torn biscuit dough in the slow cooker. Cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center, about 1 1/2 hours.

Source:
"http://allrecipes.com"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 331 Calories; 10g Fat (28.8% calories from fat); 28g Protein; 30g Carbohydrate; 2g Dietary Fiber; 58mg Cholesterol; 719mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 3 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 1/2 Fat.


Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

2 comments:

linda said...

I am SO HUNGRY after reading all these wonderful recipe. I don't have Master Cook(was that it?) but will check it out. I am thinking of making my DIL's cookbooks of favorite recipes of my sons for Christmas and this might be the ticket! Thanks for sharing your special foods with us.

xoxox

kim said...

It's 10:07 pm and my stomach is growling reading this!