Monday, September 15, 2008

On My Hearth: Skillet Mac and Cheese



I'll be serving this with a big green salad and the option of veggie burgers or chic patties to round out the meal. Instead of elbows, I'll be using this new pasta shape because I fell in love with the little butterflies and can't wait to try them! *grin* Yeah, I'm easily amused!


Skillet Mac & Cheese

From Taste of Home's Simple & Delicious

“You could use salt and pepper to taste, but we don't feel it needs it. This is so simple it seems almost too easy! But you'll love it and fix it often.” -Ann Bowers of Rockport, Texas

SERVINGS 4
CATEGORY Main Dish
METHOD Stovetop - One-Dish
PREP 5 min.
COOK 20 min.
TOTAL 25 min.

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 1-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
* 3/4 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed

DIRECTIONS

Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add cream; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in cheese until melted.

Drain macaroni; add to cheese mixture. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Hey you...I tried to pull up your blog last week when I was at home and dealing with Ike...but to no avail. I am not sure - but I was not able to pull about 6 of my favorite blogs. Yesh - Ike was a real pain in our butts. I posted some pictures of what he did to our farm too.

Deb said...

Yummy - do you have room for one more? In my opinion, mac and cheese is the ultimate comfort food! It has been a favorite of mine forever! Enjoy.

silverneurotic said...

I was sold up until the Velveeta cheese.

Rapunzel said...

Julie, I just looked at your blog this morning but was thinking of you and keeping your family in thoughts and prayers. so glad you are ok!!

Rapunzel said...

Deb, I agree! Let me tell you, there was barely a bite leftover, lol!

Rapunzel said...

Silver, LOL! NOt a fan of Velveeta? My boyfriend loves the stuff so I tend to stock up when it goes on sale. He makes an incredible dip that I"ll have to share at some point.